Bream Baits

kleinboet

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im lucky, every bream i hook at my local pool is 4lb virtually. but me best was 4lb 11oz.

I allways fish a cage feeder and me groundbait consists of 2 white loafs of liquidised bread and 1/2 bag of strawberry grounbait to flavour it.

For bait i either fish half a lobworm tipped with a red maggot or fish about a dozen red maggots.

Edited by rooney888
84854438.png

7 lb on that old favourite, sweetcorn. Had bream to 6lb on casters, and caster / worm cocktail, and a few 4 pounders on red maggot. I usually use a groundbait which contains fishmeal, mixed with brown crumb. A bit of hemp works wonders, too. The good thing about bream is if you get a shoal feeding, it is almost impossible to overfeed them. I find that once they are feeding it is best to loosefeed over the top rather than adding more groundbait, to avoid throwing big balls on top of them. Actually, I really like bream, unlike some anglers who see them as a slimy nuisance that don't put up a fight. I have had some decent tussles with large bream on fairly light tackle - the sheer size, weight and shape of them presents a challenge. If you are a matchman, they are an absolute Godsend. Long live bream, I say!

My best of 15-07 came on a lobworm/sweetcorn cocktail. On waters like Wingham the few bream are almost entirely nocturnal. Unfortunately the eels are too! Although I like eels and sometimes target them, I don't like being woken up by them at 2am when after bream!

For this reason I'm now using just sweetcorn overnight at Wingham. Having said that bailiff, Glyn Llewelyn, did have an eel of 5-08 on corn at Wingham last week!

As ever with both corn and maggots I always flavour them with one of Archie Braddock's concoctions - with bream this is usually something sweet.

Anyone have any ideas for other baits that bream like but eels don't?

Please.....!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've had some Bream success stories on stillwaters using two or three hair rigged smallish cubes of bread crust lightly dipped in v.sticky molasses/branded sweet flavourings. You can prepare a number of made up baited hooklengths on the bank before hand and allow the flavouring to soak in and/or harden.. Havn't had an Eel on this yet from a water where I regularly get Eels on corn..

Worth a try..

Edited by dant

My best of 15-07 came on a lobworm/sweetcorn cocktail. On waters like Wingham the few bream are almost entirely nocturnal. Unfortunately the eels are too! Although I like eels and sometimes target them, I don't like being woken up by them at 2am when after bream!

For this reason I'm now using just sweetcorn overnight at Wingham. Having said that bailiff, Glyn Llewelyn, did have an eel of 5-08 on corn at Wingham last week!

As ever with both corn and maggots I always flavour them with one of Archie Braddock's concoctions - with bream this is usually something sweet.

Anyone have any ideas for other baits that bream like but eels don't?

Please.....!

Its been often suggested that both Perch and Eels take Sweetcorn due to it being very high in the amino acid Lycine....erm cant remember now off hand why predominantly predatory fish are attracted to lycine!! sorry!.

Bread flake is your answer Steve.Never had a problem with eels on it.When using breadflake Ive found the traditional 3-4' hook lengths are best unlike the much safer shorter ones we use for worms.Big pinch on a size 6 is my prefference.I normally fish this over large beds of cereal groundbait but as you know Im not so sure beds of crumb are any good for your bream at Wingham due to there only being a few of them and them not really shoaling in great numbers.Maybe a small amount (1 gallon dry?) would be best.If not I have caught well with flake over corn.

I however have no problem at all with being woke up bt 5lb eels so I will be sticking with worms!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A lot of big bream fall to carp anglers. Have you thought about using boilies, Steve?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE