CentrePin Reels

RPM

I just thought I'd show you a picture of a centrepin I've been making for myself. This is an earlier photo and does not show it assembled with the reel foot and centre retaining screw. I've still got to sort out the ratchet mechanism and handles, but hopefully shouldn't be too long now.

P1010031.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful! Just don't take it out when it's rainy...or muddy...or overcast, just in case it rains... ib fact just give it to me and I'll make sure it stays nice and safe :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You must be chufffed with that...it's a thing of beauty :thumbs:

Be good to see the pics when it's finished

Are you going to produce batches to sell?

I am pleased with how it's going, I might just need to reduce the weight a little bit. I'll post some pics with a write up when it's finished.

As for producing batches, I have got a few that I'm making alongside this one that I'll finish as soon as I'm happy with the prototype.

Beautiful! Just don't take it out when it's rainy...or muddy...or overcast, just in case it rains... ib fact just give it to me and I'll make sure it stays nice and safe :D

I'll put one buy for you :thumbs: .

As do I, theres nothing quite like the feel of a good tench or carp on float tackle and a 'pin!

But that experience also pales when you have sampled the terror and delight of a feisty late season mullet on a 'pin' :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I use Fireline Crystal (in various B/S) on all my pins - don't use a CP for piking but do for barbel...

C.

I wasn't so impressed with the fireline for waggler fishing, I had a lot of trouble sinking it below the surface tow, had to set up a rod rest with the top 18 inches of the rod tip underwater to keep the line down there.

I've gone back to mono on my stillwater pin

Mat

But that experience also pales when you have sampled the terror and delight of a feisty late season mullet on a 'pin' :)

Thats something I'd like to try, I've always wondered if theres likely to be mullet in the tidal creeks around leigh on sea and benfleet over this side of the estuary!

Mat

Mat

Thats something I'd like to try, I've always wondered if theres likely to be mullet in the tidal creeks around leigh on sea and benfleet over this side of the estuary!

Mat

There will be loads :)

But neigh impossible to tempt to the hook :(

('Wild' creek mullet are usually pre-occupied feeding on natural food, algae and micro-organisms in the mud, and will studiously ignore anything that you can put on a hook. A pre-baiting campaign can bring results and a dedicated creek angler can get results, stalking, observing and striking lucky, but the hours to be put in per bite (even though many mullet will be seen) can be daunting for anyone who has not yet been bitten deeply by the mullet bug. If you don't want to be driven completly mad, it's best to stick to marinas and harbours, and where tidal waters flow through town centres and the mullet are used to feeding on all kinds of things, and especially love a flake of bread wrapped around a hook, and presented in a way that doesn't awaken their deep suspicion).

There's plenty of places on that side where it shouldn't be too difficult, especially if you know of places where mullet are fished for, and perhaps able to accompany an experienced mullet angler to show you the ropes (otherwise, just think river chub-fishing, but be prepared for a surprise when you hook into a mullet after it has been hooked for half a minute or so, and finally wakes up) :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I wasn't so impressed with the fireline for waggler fishing, I had a lot of trouble sinking it below the surface tow, had to set up a rod rest with the top 18 inches of the rod tip underwater to keep the line down there.

Mat

Matt, always thought the idea of pin fishing was to ALLOW the line to float? But then again never used a waggler with a pin? But if you want some sinking stuff Ultimate do a good range!! I started to use it for all my OTHER fishing now.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

As would I! I rarely use a pin for still waters - I believe their best as a 'trotting' tool (thus need a line that floats) so on a still water you get all of the limitations and none of the benefits!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog