Float Fishing Little and Often

Arcturus

Hi,

I enjoy float fishing, in fact most of my fishing is with a waggler float, but I am not very successful with it. :schmoll: Having read most of the available coarse fishing magazines I keep coming across the term "Little and Often" with regard to how often you bait up your swim. The problem is nobody ever quantifies how much bait to throw in!!! :wallbash:

The questions I am throwing out to the forum is; how much bait do you normally take for a days waggler fishing and how often and how much do you throw into your swim.

How long's a piece of string really...You can get through several pints if you're trying to get a shoal of chub in a feeding frenzy on a big river, but I rarely use more than a pint and a half in a session on my local stillwaters. A dozen or so each put-in (half that in the winter) is about what I would feed.

The questions I am throwing out to the forum is; how much bait do you normally take for a days waggler fishing and how often and how much do you throw into your swim.

About a 1 1/2 pints and 1/2 casters, Jacks is full of roach so I do 20-30 every couple of minutes.

Tony

Hi,

I enjoy float fishing, in fact most of my fishing is with a waggler float, but I am not very successful with it. :schmoll: Having read most of the available coarse fishing magazines I keep coming across the term "Little and Often" with regard to how often you bait up your swim. The problem is nobody ever quantifies how much bait to throw in!!! :wallbash:

When pleasure angling, 1 large tin of JGG sweetcorn and a bag of 3mm pellets. Just a little way of testing myself to see how many fish I can get out of a single tin.

Otherwise pint of maggots, pint of casters, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, pellet etc etc etc *lol*

Throw half a dozen or less loose bait around the waggler on casting..then wait 5 mins, if no action try a couple of bits more ...wait couple of mins, if still nowt ....recast to see if they're fishing on the drop.

Edited by Rich Habbershaw

on my last trip I got through about 1/4 of a bag of trout pellet and a large portion of cockles from the Old Leigh cockleshed :)

1 pouchful of pellet and 3-4 cockles around the float each cast

Mat

Mat

I know it says in the book about dumping 2 tons (or was that pints?) of groundbait, loose offerings, 3 course lunches, sweepings from the bird feeders and just about anything you like from the top shelf at the tackle shop (the bit marked "spensive") while you tackle up.

But on a river just try dropping the float into the water quietly to begin with. Let it float down but with the bait ahead of the float (hold back). It is a simple trick but if there is a good sized fish in your swim it might just winkle 'em out. Then gradually add the feed after that. But if I am not getting bites I dont bother feeding it up, try something different. If after a couple of handfuls there is no sign of life then try something else. I usually go maggot first (get the littles on the feed to attract the big uns), then worm, bread mash, sweet corn then despair. Flavourings are added when a species that you have been catching go off a bit. One last trick, mix it all with hemp.

Now excuse me cos I need to lock the shed with the tackle in.......

Best Wishes

"Muddlin' along"

It really depends on venue and conditions I've used up to 8 pints before to keep the fish feeding yet next time in the same peg barely got through a pint i think its one of the hardest things to gauge in fishing. My rule of thumb is the fewer bites i'm getting the fewer free offerings going in at any one time but the frequency stays the same.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Terry T's reply is about right by me.

Feeding the swim is the biggest skill to learn.Youve got to try and get the ratio of amount of fish in your swim at any one time to the amount of bait you put in right. Remember it is the fish in your swim competing for the food you put in that attracts other fish not so much the food itself.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Terry T's reply is about right by me.

Feeding the swim is the biggest skill to learn.Youve got to try and get the ratio of amount of fish in your swim at any one time to the amount of bait you put in right. Remember it is the fish in your swim competing for the food you put in that attracts other fish not so much the food itself.

That being so, isn't it sensible to chuck in say, hemp or maggot to attract the little roach, but only sparely with say, the sweetcorn for the intended target eg tench?