Is braid safe to use with this rod ..

J.K

Hi,

Would braid be safe to use on the following

1) John Wilson Avon

2) Wynchwood barbel rod 1.75lb

Also, would using a mono hooklink help me in getting less knock offs becuase I have a little strechy part in my rig?

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally use braid on my JW Avon. I would be amazed if you had a problem with either rod. somebody else can tell you about the value of mono hooklinks.

[ 18. July 2005, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

i would happily use braid on either rod. i'm sceptical about the value of using a mono hookink, because unless you're going to use a few feet of mono (and lets face it, you're probably thinking of using a foot max) the stretch in that short length of mono isn't going to give you any advantage.

Yes, yes and yes, is the short answer. Dont go over the top with braid breaking strain though,stick to the recomended line strengths for your rod and have your clutch set a bit slacker than you would do normally. Lifting into a biting fish will also help as opposed to striking.

My persoanl expierience with the wilson rod (quiver top) is:

1. Be carefull on the cast as I had it tangle the tip and it broke.

2. Whilst rebaiting once and the rod was in the rest, the braid got looped around the tip, whereas a pull with mono mainline would normally free it, with braid...another snapped tip!

For your mono hooklengths you can impart some elasticity by twiddling the hooklength, as per the photos below that I just took.

Tie an overhand loop for connecting to braid then hold between each thumb and forefinger and then roll the line in the directions of the arrows. This twists the line together which you then tie off with an granny knot. Trim one of the tails of line and tie your hook on the other and your done. I would twizzzle about 6 inches of hooklength.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Thats a pretty nifty trick, thanks for sharing. One question though, since I use these rods mainly for barbel, tench, bream and carp I dont think a lighter clutch setting would do me any favours. I need full control.

Do you think with this in mind that braid on these rods is not for me?

I do use braid on my lure rods but this is a different situation.

Joel

Just a lighter setting on the clutch untill your used to the fact that you dont have to strike as hard, like you would with mono.

I think briad is fine for these species, I do remember reading about Barbel and braid and that Barbel will roll during a fight and that damage could occur, but I have nevr seen any evidence to support this. Maybe someone else here has?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I have found that using braid on my feeder in conjunction with a "slider", once the slider has swung round I merely begin winding in as the fish has hooked itself!

I always use mono as my hooklength as I need a weak link in the system and if I am fishing with 10lb braid and use a 10lb mono hooklength, the mono will ALWAYS break first!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

quote:

the mono will ALWAYS break first!
That was sort of my thinking behind the hooklength being mono aswell as the stretch.

My main worry about the braid is it damaging the rings.

Thanks for the help, looks like I will be on the look out for some braid. Ebay here I come lol.

Joel

My "work" cat rods have Fugi BNHG rings on them.They will have undoubtedly seen more rod hours than a "personal use" rod would in a life time.These have always been used with heavy braids and have landed a lot of treble figure fish.The rings havnt a mark on them.

I also have a couple of "cheap" Leeda Generation Heavy Feeders that have also been used extensively with braid.Once again no problem.

My pike rods have been used with only braid for over 12 years now.They have a variety of rings on them and also show no wear.

I think the reson so many claim that braid wears rod rings can be put down to two things- firstly the noise braid makes when retrieved and the fact theyve never actually used it!

I always add 10-12' of mono on to the end of my braid for feeder work.I prefer to tie my rigs in mono.It also saves wear on the end of the braid.Was never to convinced about the need for a "cushioning" effect but if it is benificial its there any way!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!