braided lines

cobra

:headhurt: ive been watching alot of angling programs lately especially total fishing/great rod race etc and matt recomends braided lines over mono but alot of the waters near me have banned the use of them now with the risk of sounding dumb has anyone know why and is the ban justified or is it just a case of preference?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main fear is that the combination of high strength, low diameter and virtually no stretch can create a cheese wire cutting effect on a fish during the process of landing it.

Which seems to make sense in theory but is a thing I've personally not seen even though I fish about 95% with braids and only use fluoro for special situations. Haven't fished with mono (other than in the UK last year when I was using borrowed tackle) for quite a while.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest tigger
Which seems to make sense in theory but is a thing I've personally not seen even though I fish about 95% with braids

Neither have I.

Also if braid is supposed to cut /damage fish then why do they recommend a braid bottom for carp/ barbel fishing?

If you pull mono tight in your hands it will cut into your skin just the same as braid.

Why?? Because CHANGE is a FEARED thing!!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

The only time braid can be a problem is if its used with very powerfull rods and poor angling! Its lack of stretch and extra strength means that idiots (no thats unfair as Ive seen damage caused by good anglers as well) can pull to hard/let the fish (if its big enough) pull to hard and damage can be caused by the hook being torn through flesh.

The world record carp (Scar) sadly got her nick name because of this and the guy who did it was quite a good angler just not used to the situation he found himself in.

I use braid for 90% of my fishing but can understand why some fisheries now ban it.A shame but like a lot of rules etc in place to protect from the idiots/unexperienced.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Why?? Because CHANGE is a FEARED thing!!!!
You got it in one mate. One of the things I have learned in the four years that I have been a member of this wonderful community we call AN is that Ludditism is alive and well in the angling world.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Interesting read

I've also heard that it's banned because of fish being tethered due to the high BS of braids.

I've never used it but am going to get some floating stuff soon for drifter fishing for pike....it's situations like that where I think the low stretch properties of it would be good at such long ranges.

Edited by Neil G

Interesting read

I've also heard that it's banned because of fish being tethered due to the high BS of braids.

I've never used it but am going to get some floating stuff soon for drifter fishing for pike....it's situations like that where I think the low stretch properties of it would be good at such long ranges.

And once you have Neil you will never go back.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!