Demise of traditional angling

Kappa

were on the fishing dooda not the non fishing ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rabbit
Andy, why depressing? do those kids look depressed? not so depressed if all they had on offer was tiddlers. OK, so they may never learn to trot a river or stream, possibly never get to watch a float slide away at dawn, never feel the wrench of a barbel bite....actually, I meet blokes like that every day, none of them look depressed :) What is depressing is that they don't seem to ever do anything about catching these other fish, and by the way, I am not obsessed with carp fishing, I am obsessed with fishing period. I often hear "I would love to catch a barbel" but they never make the effort.

Anyway, back to the topic, there never has been a traditional type of fishing, there have been periods when we used different tackle and fished in different ways, but fishing has constantly evolved and mostly, improved.

If there is a depressing sight in angling, it is match fishing, I fished a few, not got the temperament for it, but the sheer desperation of those guys to "get in the money", now that is sad.

Den

Well Den as far as some 'anglers' that have never fished a stick float or a waggler, then how on earth can the call themselves anglers. Sitting behind electronics waiting for a carp to hook itself is as far away from true angling you could be. Its almost akin to simulator fishing Den, where is the water craft, the skill the, action in playing a 15lb carp on a heavy rod and line? No Den that scene is all about PB's and hoping the biggest lump in the lake will stumble across your boilie , and the Kudos he/she can enjoy untill the next 'angler' flukes it.

You have a dig at match anglers, well I dont match fish and dont want to, but at least these guys need to be better all round anglers than the buzzer brigade.

This thread's title is the Demise of Traditonal Angling, well if it keeps the carpers away from the rivers then viva the decline.

This as a fantastic thread - a good read and, while you can read the disagreements, but so far no name calling.

I started fishing some 52 years ago in a City called Durban in South Africa. I started of fishing, up to my thighs in water, Cane "rod" (stick) and line and float with hook.

I caught (along with others) smallish fish. I didn't even think about catching big fish. That would come later in life.

I ended up sea fishing and in the fifties, caught my all time PB, a Great White shark weighing 800Kg (1760lb) from the rocks, using a 12ft Fibreglass beachcaster rod with a WOODEN centre pin (called a Scarbrough reel!) and yellow braided line. It made the local newspapers for a while, but I knew I would NEVER catch anything as good again!

I went fishing yesterday and was just thinking about it, as I was fishing with a top three of a pole right in front of me (going back to me roots, I thought) There was about 12 other anglers (Carpers?)

all using at least 2oz weights, bite alarms and 2 rods. I had a good days fishing, catching quite a few Roach and Rudd over 2lb, a Tench of 3lb and 3 carp, 2 of 4lbish and one of 7lbish, much to chagrin of the other anglers! Watercraft works!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

i have the picture,ok a little before your time though kleiny

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i have the picture,ok a little before your time

I dread to think what would happen to that rod butt, if a Great White took the bait. :unsure::headhurt:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

come on their white hunters ,dislocated balls is part and parcel ,he may clamp down a bit tighter on his pipe though :D

looking closer are they kite fishing!?

Edited by chesters1

come on their white hunters ,dislocated balls is part and parcel ,he may clamp down a bit tighter on his pipe though :D

looking closer are they kite fishing!?

Nah, he's spodding, it's just about to hit the water. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

it must be a boat so he's boat fishing :rolleyes:

nothing mentioned in the tackle section about kites but cuttyhunk is prevalent

Yup, remove the pipe and hat and that could be me!

The "kite" is the wrong shape, I think it is supposed to be a yacht (rare thing in those waters)

I was very kindly handed a bucket for the rod as there was quite a crowd watching when they realised I was into something big.

The thing that that drawing doesn't show is that a lot of those rocks have holes in them. These have been drilled so that if you are fighting a fair size fish and your arms are getting tired, you sit on the rock and put the butt in the hole, holding on to the reel (no ratchet) to give your upper body a rest!

A fish that size is not brought up to the side in an hour, try 10!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I ended up sea fishing and in the fifties, caught my all time PB, a Great White shark weighing 800Kg (1760lb) from the rocks, using a 12ft Fibreglass beachcaster rod with a WOODEN centre pin (called a Scarbrough reel!) and yellow braided line. It made the local newspapers for a while, but I knew I would NEVER catch anything as good again!

Blimey Kleinboet, that's immense! Do you have a picture? I'd love to see it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music