Poaching.........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Poaching.........  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or have you poached (fishing rights, not fish removal)

• Yes, don't be a pansy, we've all done it or do it!
    • No way, its theft plain and simple.
    • Maybe, depending on circumstances.

As a kid I often fished where there was offically "no fishing" a small nature reserve pond was a favourite of mine :)

I also fished a day ticket water and deliberately avoided the baliff when he came around to collect ticket money

I grew up on a south london council estate, we had one park lake that was over an hours walk that was legally fishable (Burgess park, Old kent road) but a couple of other park lakes (southwark park) and a nature reserve (Lavender Pond), that were better fishing, closer to home, and free <G>

Now days I'm very careful to make sure I'm fishing completely legally, I'd rather be able to sit back and relax while fishing than be constantly watching the horizon for baliffs!

Mat

Mat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No poacher worthy of the name will ever admit he has poached anywhere. A reputation as a poacher is the last thing he needs.

The art of poaching is not only not to get caught, but for the land/riparian owner and his bailiffs/keepers to be quite unaware that he has had a "guest"

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest Brumagem Phil
No poacher worthy of the name will ever admit he has poached anywhere.

The art of poaching is not only not to get caught, but for the land/riparian owner to be quite unaware that he has had a "guest"

Is that a yes or a no then? -_-

Is that a yes or a no then? -_-

Neither - just a general observation on the nature of poachers. :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

BTW Newt, how is Oatmeal Jack these days?

Haven't seen him post for ages and trust he is well.

RNLI Governor

digging a big hole for myself here no doubt.

I think I may poach on the basis that I fish lots of reservioirs where for the life of me I cant find out anything about them so ill turn up and wander round in the hope of finding someone who knows, I only do this after Ive tried local shops pubs etc.

Maybe Im poaching maybe not what i do know when I can locate who deals with tickets for the water I will always get a card/dayticket for the venue.

Ive run into a few ppl who havnt been too happy about this but when Ive explained what im doing they have always bar once been very helpfull the once was a res that had recently been taken over as a carp fishery after years of being free to fish.

As predominantly a pike angler a few times when ive fished waters that have more of a trout theme the clubs have been happy to accept me for what i was doing.

I suppose the fact I leave a note in the car windscreen with my mobile no when doing this has helped as the anglers/bailiff know that im there and being open about what im up to, and will always buy a ticket if possible on the day even of that means leaving and going back to the water on the same day.

I've come across similar waters where the ownership is a grey area and it's seems impossible to find out who owns the rights and how to get tickets etc.

Edited by Neil G

I think when I was a kid there were more ponds which weren't owned by clubs, certainly on the Fylde coast where I live so poaching wasn't such a problem. Now every bit of water has club signs on them so where do kids go to learn to fish?

I voted assuming we're talking about adults. Of course as kids we'd fish the odd place where we weren't supposed to be. Just fishing mind - not causing damage or trouble etc.

As adults I think it's wrong - but if you've tried to find out who owns the rights to a water and genuinely can't, then that's different.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Poaching was great fun when I was a kid, as was scrumping for apples and plums and sneeking into peoples (large) back gardens for conkers. One spot we found was a road bridge over the entry stream to lake owned by the local rich bloke. The bridge was clearly viasble from the house and the road was fairly busy. However lots of people stopped there to feed the ducks and swans. There were also some very big rainbow trout which used to feed on the bread as well and we realy wanted to catch one. However we realised this was no place for skill so we knotted together a few legnths of bailer twine together and attached an old tractor wheel nut to the end to get it down quick. To this we added about 2 foot of the thickest mono we could find and a size 8 hook. The plan was to cycle to the bridge and pretend to feed the ducks etc and when the trout came in one of us threw a load of bread far away from the fish giving us enough time to drop out bit down to the waiting trout. This worked a treat and on the first attempt we hooked a monster (probably about 2 lbs but we were kids) which was unceremoniously hauled out bashed on the head, into the plastic bag and we cyled off thinking we were ace. We took it home and cooked it with garlic butter. It tasted like shite :yucky::headhurt: