2015 Rutland zander fish-in

Anderoo

Dear all,

I have been using the jig silk in 13,8lbs this season and its really good.

One thing with braid is that the diameters and the breaking strains are all lies. Even in powerpro depending on where you buy it from it can vary wildly.

I'd go for a braid that is proven!

The two I would recommend is jig silk in 13,8lbs (I don't trust the 8lb breaking strains its too fragile and too hard to knot) and 8lb Spiderwire ultimate braid:

https://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Spiderwire-Ultra-Cast-Ultimate-Braid---125yds-----Save-30-.html

I've used the 8lbs and its tough as old boots so I'm sure the 6lbs would be great (its way underated for its strength).

Rich

Second impressions of the torque braid are not great - after spooling up its already gone a bit 'fluffy' in places. Even if that doesn't affect breaking strain (which it might) it'll mean more drag on the line. I'll give it a fair go tomorrow but I'm starting to understand the low price ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That doesn't sound too promising !

I have a reel spooled up with 10lb PP, I think i'll stick with that. I've not had many dealings with braid but PP is a favourite of mine and i'm confident when using it. I can't see there being much difference in the diameter between 8 and 10lb....at least I hope there isn't lol.

Edited by Tigger

The Torque 'performance' braid has all gone in the bin, I had it on both mine and Neil's reels yesterday and after just a few hours it had gone from slightly fraying for no reason to just disintegrating before our eyes! I've never seen braid do that before, I've got some PP that's over 5 years old and has had a tough life that's still as good as new, if slightly faded.

The pics below are when Neil was jigging in about 70ft, so this line has barely left the reel, let alone had any punishment:

IMG_3561_zpstybohh5y.jpg

IMG_3560_zps30lrxpvp.jpg

Avoid!

I replaced this on both reels with some cheap Chinese stuff I keep for emergencies which looks very much like standard 10lb PP, and it was totally fine, albeit a little thicker than I'd like. But at least I could trust it...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Latest on braid-gate, I've ordered some 3kg/6.6lb power pro to try next, which has the same diameter as the 8.5lb jig silk (0.006mm). Even though it is theory less strong than the jig silk I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being more trustworthy. We'll see - 6.6lb does seem on the light side but as long as it doesn't damage easily I think it ought to be strong enough, at least for Rutland.

That looks really bad. I know it's obvious, but is there anything on the rings or bale arm that could be picking it up. If not I would certainly be looking for a refund. Try a Google to see if it is a common problem

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I’ve just had the same experience with knotting the 8lb Fox Silk, an Albright Special to the fluoro wouldn’t hold no matter how many additional turns I added so I’ll be using a swivel to join the two lines. Luckily the suggested knot on the packaging does seem to work.

I’m keen to try this stuff, I remember very well how I struggled last year when the drift became difficult to hold. Will have a spare spool loaded with PP in the bag though just in case.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It's good you have a drogue and fishfinder Rob, all boats are covered in that case :)

I just had a quick look on the Fox Rage website and it looks like they've already discontinued the Ultron rods (I can't see them there anyway). No surprise really where Fox is concerned :rolleyes:

Let me know if you don't get the v jig and are still looking around for something or will need to borrow a rod.

Are you OK for lures, jig heads, etc.?

Just to reiterate, I would make sure you have jig heads from 30-50g. Even with the very thin braid I now use, on very windy days I still need 50g to fish, and even then I'm nowhere near vertical! The Friendl;y Fisherman is the best place to get those.

It's currently fishing well if you can find the fish, there is a lot of empty water and the fishing can be patchy, but some areas have been very good indeed. A few perch have terned up too which is nice, and the odd small pike. It's been interesting talking to other predator anglers at the end of the day, some have really struggled and others have had loads.

My mate will need to borrow a rod and reel if that's OK please? I've ordered one of the Ultron rods.

We're sorted for terminal tackle.

Edited by Rob Ward