Dodgy magazine photos

A Norfolk Boy

To deal with the pictures 'out of season' point: at 'Sea Angler' we get swamped with photos for our Young Rods feature. We took a policy decision some time ago that we would rather publish pictures late and keep youngsters happy than be strictly topical and disappoint two-thirds of those children who write in to us.

As for the 'questionable weight' issue, all I'll say is, if you could see the photos we reject...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scribe:

...all I'll say is, if you could see the photos we reject...

Now there's an idea for an interesting article: a bit like "It'll be all right on the night" - you could run a series of pics (with faces pixellated out) and run a reader poll on which is the worst one.

Okay Jeff, understood. I'm sure you must have a giggle. Perhaps this would make a good comedy section. I've even some questionable weight fish on the beach with people saying, 'oh, must be 4lb' when it clearly isn't.

Incidentally, I've noticed a positive change in the magazine.

Having read the thread and then done a retake on the photos applying the age factor, where was the 17yr old lad???? :confused:

He certainly had his fair share of specimen fish :D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Guest sslatter

The camera can lie..

Last year I caught a thicklip that measured 24" and weighed 6lb 2oz. A local resident came out with his camera, took two photos, and witnessed the measuring and weighing.

A couple of weeks later, I was back at the spot, and out came the chap with two photos, a big grin on his face. "That fish was never 6lbs" he laughed, and showed me the photos. The fish looked no longer than 16-18" and about 2lb 8oz in weight.. my protests that the lens of his camera had caused the optical illusion went unheeded. I mean, he'd witnessed the measurement and the weighing, and now he was saying that I'd fooled him..

I am 100% positive that there must be anglers on here who've had similar experiences with photos of fish..

Oh yes.. the camera can lie..

Originally posted by Graham. X:

[QB] The camera can lie..

Last year I caught a thicklip that measured 24" and weighed 6lb 2oz. A local resident came out with his camera, took two photos, and witnessed the measuring and weighing.

:cool: Funny that, just over a year ago I was fishing for mullet on my own when I caught a reasonable fish which looked about 4lbs in the water, I'd already had several around the 3lb 8oz mark, when I lifted the dropnet I thought, this is bigger than 4lbs, I'll weigh it. On my certified scales it went 6lb 4.5 oz, a PB. no body around so I put it in the dropnet to recover, put the scales away and just as I was about to release it a chap and his young son walked by, I asked them to take a photo for me, which they did but I didn't want to distress the fish anymore by weighing it again so I then released it. People have since said, that's not a 6lb plus fish, I know it doesn't look it as its short but very fat, which the camera doesn't show, but I know it was over six pounds, so my PB still stands at 5lb 10.25 oz. :D