Cattle

Frummo

My favourite swim on a local river is far enough from any car parking to deter all but the most persistent and enthusiastic anglers (ie me) from using it. It's my reliable standby as it's comfortable, sheltered, deep, and has proved very productive if inconsistent. Anyway I like it; nobody about, the birds tweeting - and the bullocks groaning as they contemplate their future.

Unfortunately this year's bullocks are a pest. On the 18th they followed me - about 50 of them - all the way from the first gate to the swim, which is near the next field gate. The area round the gates is always chewed up and sh1t-strewn, but this time it's spectacular. And they've chosen the swim as a drink so it's a crappy swamp. This I could almost handle if it weren't for the fact that they won't leave me alone. There's something disconcerting about trying to fish with a circle of cattle above head height behind you; they seem more interested in me fishing than in eating although previous years' batches usually wombled off after a while. I spoke to the farm manager to ask if he'd be offended if I shooed them off but he was right - they are very inquisitive and always come right back. I may have to abandon the swim this year which is a shame, even if it encourages me to experiment more.

A bigger problem is that a club I belong to has a stretch of river which is very inacessible (actually it has quite a few and they are little fished) one of which I have been told frequently contains a bull, either with a herd or on its own. Now I grew up around farming and always treated bulls with caution although I know the theory is that they're supposed to be little risk when they're with a herd: I remember the feeling... If the route to the river was next to an ordinary fence I'd be less worried, however it's mostly by the fence of a waterworks which is pretty impenetrable. This is deterring me from trying what I believe to be a beautiful stretch of river. It's not even easy to detect whether there's a bull present until past the point of difficult return.

What's the general opinion on the risks associated with cattle? Any advice? - like whether to clout with a bank stick or not in an otherwise impossible sitution; always fancied myself as a matador.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully understand the cow conundrum you're faced with. Having spent my childhood on the marshes of Norfolk, or I should say in, as most days I managed to end up neck deep in water trying to escape squads of frisky bullocks.

My Mothers side of the family has a long history of livestock farming but still I'm not 100% comfortable with our bovine buddies. I'm not sure what it is, I think maybe it's the size of the things, even 2year old bullocks carry enough weight to do damage.

I think the main thing is (and I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise) I reckon cows have an IQ of about 1 and it's hard to fully trust something that appears that dim.

One thing to avoid, especially with numbers of bullocks is running even when things are getting too close for comfort.

Have a look to see if they've had the snip so to speak, if they have, then they should have a lower frisky potential.

I'm not sure about the safety of bulls with herds of cows as I've known a few to get quite protective over lady friends. Stud bulls are also a product of high breeding which can lead them to be a bit highly strung to say the least..

I have exactly the same problem with a stretch of water my club has on the River Waveney.

Although not totally foolproof but more acceptable than a wack with a bankstick (which could land you and your club in a spot of shitty water with the farm manager) is a small but high powered water pistol. When the little bleeders start their snotty, breathing down your neck and trampling your rod holdall tricks, give them a burst with the waterpistol. It's quite amusing and they soon get fed up with getting a soaking..

Dan T

Dan,

cold comfort there, but at least it makes me feel a bit less of a wimp (as a kid this stuff didn't bother me much, but there again I was immortal at that time). The water pistol is an interesting idea, you've obviously tried it. Just what I need, more cr@p to carry around! I've spent a couple of seasons co-existing with the bullocks without much hassle, but I can't wait for this year's batch to end up in freezer-packs. Yup, it's the bulk allied to lack of brain that makes me uneasy too. BTW I think the "snip" is precisely the factor that distinguishes bullocks from bulls.

Anyone else have this problem? Not the snip, the bullocks...

Edited by john frum

there was a story on the bbc newsite regarding a bloke in devon that got killed last week by a herd of cows.

he was lighting a bonfire in a field behind his house, when they got the hump and trampled him.poor sod.

bulls....keep well away in my experience.

cheers dave.

Yep, sorry John not much use I know.

I have used the water pistol to good effect on many occasions, it does work. A bit of pain to carry around if you're out for a days stalking..

I think you're right re: The Snip, although I tend to (wrongly) call any thing below a certain size a Bullock, out of habit.

I would say CC is right in suggesting stearing clear of singular Bulls. It is important to show no fear though as I'm sure any sense of fear translates to the animals and makes them even more skittish. I know a couple of cowmen who have worked with Bulls and Bullocks for years and never had any problems.

Im not to sure about the best way to co exsist with these mindless future serloins, but I can offer advice based on my what NOT to do experiences. Do not run, I have before and this only seems to spur the bullocks on more - to the point where Im sure they are getting great satisfaction out of chasing a bloke.

Also, I have found that going mental at them, eg running at them waving sticks and shouting, drives them away, only for them to become more determined and inquisitive on thier immenent return.

I tend to just keep a medium pace walk on, and ignore them totally and normally they lose interest, however given the chance, I wouldnt mind aquiring a taser and having some fun!

I suppose we just have to except them as a bloody pain and delight in the fact that at some point soon, we will be enjoying their presence along with horseradish! We have the last laugh. :clap2::sun::D

I tend to just keep a medium pace walk on, and ignore them totally and normally they lose interest, however given the chance, I wouldnt mind aquiring a taser and having some fun!

I suppose we just have to except them as a bloody pain and delight in the fact that at some point soon, we will be enjoying their presence along with horseradish! We have the last laugh. :clap2::sun::D

Can't say i agree with the Taser comment - they have as much right to be by the riverside as we do and '...having some fun with a taser....' does not paint us anglers in a good light with the ' Anti's ' :unsure:

On another note though , i agree with your last statement......and am now salivating over the thought of a big juicy steak :thumbs:

try leaving a scent where they congregate I know fresh ginger works for sheep and horses its totally biodegradable and harmless they just dont like the smell for some reason in all honesty never had much triuble with cattle or if you want try the humorous route go dressed as jan porter would have a few years back but dont forget the video caos you can get £100 for each vid you send to that jeremy beadle thing lol