2-stroke vs 4-stroke

Elton

For me, it would come down to what size engine is required.

30hp+ it would be a 2 stroke every time. Usually faster, like for like, miles better hole-shot, they weigh less, servicing at a fraction of the price of comparable 4 strokes, far less to go wrong. Modern 2 strokes don't require any mixing up of fuel /oil. It's injected automatically. They're cheaper to buy.

On the downside, the fuel economy of the older generation of 2 strokes isn't great. That said, with the Etecs, Hpdi's and variants around, that's no longer an issue.

I use a 10hp 4 stroke as an aux and although it's far heavier than an engine of this size should be, it does the job well enough.

Edited by Sharkbyte

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at packages boat/outboard ranging from 16' to 20' and most of the deals are with 4 stroke.

I have turned my head a little to look at 18' to 20' with inboard engines, diesel turbo units and though they are a few quid more I am sorely tempted, one or two good second hand buys around, one sat in Swansea Marina I might pop down to take a closer look at.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I reckon within 5 years all manufacturers will have gone back to two strokes with fuel injection.

The new breed of Evinrude have a better fuel economy than the present four strokes.

Many figures are quoted about the advanatages of four stroke fuel economy over two stroke but I found them grossly exaggerated.

On a average trip two identical Hulls and pay load and fishing the same marks. The two stroke would use 5 gallon and the four strokes four gallon

With the two thousand pound difference in price you would have to do a serious mileage to get your money back on a four stroke.

The two stroke gives more acceleration and instant power which is sometimes necessary in rough seas.

Three of our boats are now using the Tohatsu 70's and apart from initial teething problems on one of them they are proving very reliable.

A 70 HP is only £3600 and i believe is the best value at the moment

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

we had a air cooled 4 stroke! fantastic engine and without the hassel of waterways in the engine getting blocked up and lighter than an equivalent 2 stroke and far less thirsty

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

blimey prime smug drugglers getaway boat

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't know if it is likely to become an issue in the UK any time soon but emission standards have caused some changes here.

California is our toughest state on engine emissions due to their high population of autos and have recently tightened up on the ones for boat motors as well. A standard 2 stroke engine cannot pass and can no longer be sold new in that state. 4 stroke and the hybrids like the Merc Optimax in my link do pass and can be sold. Johnson & Evinrude both offer a similar hybrid engine.

One reason I paid a little extra for the Optimax over a standard 2 stroke is the possibility that if I want to sell it at some point, the higher standards will be nationwide and I would be stuck with a 2 stroke I could not sell.

As far as I know, all of the larger horsepower 2 stroke and hybrid 2 stroke outboards made today have oil injection so the issues with mixing your fuel and the fact that no single oil/petrol mix can be efficient at both low and high rpm has certainly made owning a 2 stroke less of a bother.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Interesting reading, this.

My primary reason for asking is that when I've been out on small boats, fuel consumption has been a major issue.

With fuel so expensive in the UK, even a short trip for two people can be more expensive than the relative cost of a charter boat divided by 8 people.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I think there are a few more variables to consider. What size of engine, what type of hull, how far are you running, what throttle opening etc. From my experience, I now save 40% on my fuel bill by running 4 strokes vs older 2 strokes. However, this is comparing 2 x 115hp (4s) Suzuki's vs 2 x Yamaha 115 Enduros. My average run is 40NM out, trolling for 4 hours, and then a 40NM run back. The motors are rigged on a planing 24' cat hull and I average 24 knots at 4000rpm. On this rig I now use 160 litres per day in total. Some of our local fleet has switched to the new E-Tecs and are also having good savings and cheaper maintenance costs - however the motors are noisier and I find the 4 strokes allow me to get much closer to a feeding shoal of fish, meaning shorter casts and more fish. Whatever you choose, the new generation of motors are light years ahead of the older ones and are far superior in every respect.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Interesting reading, this.

My primary reason for asking is that when I've been out on small boats, fuel consumption has been a major issue.

With fuel so expensive in the UK, even a short trip for two people can be more expensive than the relative cost of a charter boat divided by 8 people.

Thats the main reason why I have been looking at inboard engines, it appears you get a far better return for your fuel cost.

Am I guessing right that you are looking for an outboard for your boat?

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist