Kayakfishing Chat - continues

Newt

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha Simon I just knew someone was going to make a comment like that , i just didnt expect it to be you where is Yakity anyway probably still hard grafting .

I'll get in touch with the guys I bought it from and see if they have any ideas or any spare sunset coloured plastic in there new kayaks.

[ 14. March 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Prowler,

I did a small bit of "welding" on a Frenzy but it was only for a small crack arounf the bow lifting moulding.

Got some patch material from YY but also a couple of OK Kayak plastic weld "rods" from Bournemouth Canoes. Your dealer should be able to get you some free; if not your welcome to the bits I have left.

Before I took the flame to the yak I practiced on a plastic fish box to get a feel for the technique. I don't know if you get the same kind of fishboxes washed up down your way and could acquire one?

I found a few useful links for the welding technique at the time, but have since lost them :(. Try searching around; the whitewater guys are forever putting gouges and holes in their yaks.

Cheers, Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Thanks Jaffa,

I didnt even think of trying OK doh, now i know they do weld rods i'll ask the supplier to order me some down.

So thank you very much for the advice and the offer, no doubt i'll let you guys know how I got on being as this is now officially my second home .

[ 14. March 2005, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi there peeps.

Sorry to hear about the scratch in the Yak Prowler.

Hope you manage to sort it out.

Jaffa, did you say FLAME would a heat gun not be better , just a thought , maybe have more control over the heat not so intense ?? :confused:

Never tried to weld one yet , would frighten the life out of me :D

Damn.....wish I hadnt said that.......touch wood.........touch wood.

Let us know if you get the weld rods prowler.

If not Jaffa and I can sort you out some bits.

No matter how you try to look after the Yaks , you always seem to get a scratch or two.

YY :)

Thanks Yakity, i'll let ya know but I suspect i'll get more help from you guy's than the boat shop but gotta be worth a try, plus i've emailed OK for them, two sunrise and one sky plus the welding instructions though why they cant make that a downloadable PDF is beyond me.

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Prowler, it would be great if you could keep us updated with how you got on with the repair and any tips you have found.

Yakity I've only gone and done it..Kokatat been ordered bundled with a free kokatat fleece suit

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I will, i'm asuming that both the weld rod and the base of the yak where the gouge is need to be heated so that the poleythene sticks, a bit like the things I did with my airfix soldiers err when I was a kid you understand. :)

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi there yakkers,

Just collected my prowler 13 on Saturday and got it home to admire.

I went for the basic not the angler version as I figured I could adapt it myself to suit. It looks mighty impressive in the garage I'm just hoping it'll look the same when i'm attached to a 30lb Tope 2 miles out and counting.

As luck would have it I've picked up a shiny new milk crate on the site we were working on today and now am wondering how to turn it into a rod holder/tackle box.

Some of the kayaks you boys use look mighty impressive when they're kitted out but at the moment I'm just looking to get the minimum of gear on the water, ie one fly rod when I go flyfishing(for bass) or one bottom fishing rod etc. The first thing I need is a simple to attach rod holder, any ideas on the best place in the UK to get something functional that will hold a fly rod or spinning/boat rod or do I need to buy two seperate holders. I've looked at the Scotty website but I'd prefer to try and get something on this side of the Pond if that's possible.

Any ideas would be gratefully received,

nifty.

I understand :D . Well worth practicing on something disposable first though !

Prowler I have two full rods if you need them. Couple of links that might be useful:

http://www.heatgunkit.com/htwp.php

http://www.voyageur-gear.com/downloads/car...epair_Guide.pdf

Im sure theres a lot more out there.

Also hatch tips and hints here. BTW i don't think vaseline is a good idea anywhere near rubber as it wil rot it! Safer to use silicone grease.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...rgeHatches.html

The whole sitontopkayaking site is a great resource if you have'nt seen it before. Might be a good place to ask about repair techniques and advice.

Cheers, Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net