Kayakfishing Chat - continues

Newt

Hi Nifty welcome to the forums... looks like you have bought yourself a might fine yak after reading the reviews on it.When do you plan to take it for a test paddle and where?

I think Starvin mentioned in a previous thread that the Scotty rod mount can be obtained through Glasgow Angling Centre who are UK distributors.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/ Its worth giving them a ring. Let us know how you get on -- I'm considering getting a Scotty mount at some point too.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi nifty :) ,

My yaks non fancy Just a couple of extra ties and a bodged togeather crate with two PVC pipe "rodholders" cabletied to it :) Works well for me though..

FWIW I would not cut holes or attach anything to your yakuntil you have been out a few times and get a real feel for where you want stuff. Somethings justaare;nt very obvious until you have done it for real.

OMG whats Norrie going to say when he realises theres another yakker here! :D:D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Speciman,

I'm hoping to get out over the Easter break at New Quay, West Wales. Iv'e got a caravan down there and Wife, Dog and 4 kids (must get a telly) permitting Will have a play about then.

The fishing won't be up to much for a month or two yet but will be out getting a feel for it.

Thanks for the advice about where to go for a rod holder, i'd had a look at their website and that shows a Danico (I think that's what it said) rod holder, is that any use? or do they have other options.

Many thanks nifty.

Hi Jaffa,

I'm not planning on cutting holes in anything just yet, my toolkit (brick hammer, Trowel) doesn't run to DIY boat work

I have to admit that i like the uncluttered approach because i tend to bash into anything within arms length and i don't want to knock anything over the side if possible.

Regards nifty.

Hi Nifty,

Welcome to the fleet :D

Nice Yak mate , hope you enjoy her.

Proberbly a good thing going out with the minimun of kit for a while.

To be honest , I cant understand why some people have gadgets all over the Kayak , dosnt leave much room for the fish :D

Jaffas right , dont be in to much of a hurry to mount things on her yet.

Have you had any experience on a Kayak before ?

What safety kit do you have?

We are a nosey lot here , and like to look after each other.

Again......welcome.

Yakety. :)

Hi Yakity,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

My Kayaking experience is i have to admit a distant memory when my dad built me a plywood kayak as a kid(lots of fun in the surf). Last summer i got hold of a couple of old glassfibre sit in kayaks thinking they would be ok for a bit of fishing if i was careful but I frightened myself to death nearly and thought perhaps not. The biggest problem was getting into the dam things.

I have been using Mirror Dinghies for the past umpteen years but the hassle of storing, transporting and generally manhandling them up and down the beach alone finally got to me and for the last year or two i have stayed ashore unless i could borrow a mates dinghy which is on a mooring.

As for safety, gear at the moment it's just a lifejacket and anchor with a compass in the tackle bag.

I am looking at buying some reasonable clothing for yakking and am open to suggestions, preferably at the lower end of the price range as the prowler has spent me out for a while.

Regards nifty.

No problem YY ; I think we need all the info we can get.

The plastic welding was a bit daunting at first, not helped by the early discovery in practice runs that

the amount of heat needed to get the plastic welding

was very close to that causing damage!

Also found that my heat gun (paintstripper) could not concentrate the heat well enough, and my soldering irons did not spread it out enough :(

Thats when I turned to the terrifying flame of a small blow torch!

After a lot of hours practice on the fishbox bits I got a "feel" for it to the point I felt confident to tackle the yak; still sweated a bit though! :D

Went well, though that was only a small crack and pretty straightfoward. I'd want a lot more practice before doing a larger area.

Be good to have the option of payig to get it done. perhaps some of the kayak shops do repairs for all those whitewater ?

Also, when looking into the welding, I came across a soldering iron designed for the kayak welding job. Another thing I noticed in the states were cheap little plastic welding kits, I think they were for doing repairs to the plastic parts on cars ? Looked useful anyway.

Also I have seen weld repairs in those plastic fishboxes before, I wonder who repairs them? the welds i've seen look pretty professional.

[ 14. March 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Yakity, I'll be out for a test paddle and swim as soon as I get it.

Could be a little while though its being shipped from the US. I am now a proud member of the American Canoe Association -- managed to get a 15% discount on my goods through this membership. :D

I feel I've missed the season I was wanting to fish (winter floundering & codling) but hey summers on its way!

[ 14. March 2005, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow