very latest Footage - Gt White off Cornwall

fishfinder

I have just watched the second video more or less in frame sequence several times, the thing that struck me was this.

I have been privilege to see several basking sharks at close quarters and without wishing to appear rude they are very laid back some what lazy creatures which swim about just under the surface mouth open filtering their food supply.

I never saw one breach or do anything at all remotely active, even their tail movements are quite slow.

Now the fish in this film was very active, twisting and turning in a very small space IE. adapt at chasing its prey. I also note large areas of white body colour when it rolled, now this could be the sun reflecting of a wet surface not absolutely sure about that.

I am NOT claiming great white but it definitely is a predatory species rather than a filter feeder.

As for air brushing the video even with the technology available today it would take some time and effort to produce a convincing effect and from film date to publishing the time factor would some what rule that out bearing in mind we are probably talking 30 frames per second and at the very least 15. Below fifteen it would be total rubbish.

So I ask "Does anyone have a personal knowledge of basking sharks breaching?"

One must also take into account the well recorded shark attacks on surfers in that area, again not stating great white, but definitely not porbeagle but possibly mako.

If so there is without doubt a threat to swimmers. :rolleyes::D

Hi Ken

I've probably seen over a hundred different basking sharks over the past 6 years. I've seen little 'uns and bigguns, and all sizes in between.

I've seen lazy ones that have hardly moved at all, just sufficient fin movement to keep them pointing the right direction in a slight current that was bringing all the plankton they could ever want.

I've also seen them behaving in just the same way as portrayed in the video.

I've seen them head on side on and tail on. I've even seen one from underneath and very close up.

And yes I have seen one breach from a distance of about 200 metres.

So all I would say is that in my not so humble opinion the video footage from cornwall is 100% definite a basker.

And just for clarity I do believe that great whites may occassionaly visit our waters. But the Sun and related rags are just publishing their usual rubbish.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2182715.ece

"Captain Derek Aunger, Newquay’s harbour master, said the Benita Ann, the boat that Mr Keeble claimed to have been fishing from, had been sold to someone in Scotland 15 years ago and had not been back in the area."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2182715.ece

"Captain Derek Aunger, Newquay's harbour master, said the Benita Ann, the boat that Mr Keeble claimed to have been fishing from, had been sold to someone in Scotland 15 years ago and had not been back in the area."

ooops :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"