very latest Footage - Gt White off Cornwall

fishfinder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow !

Some horribly patronising opinions on this thread regarding Sun readers.

It's not like The Sun ever gets anything right, is it..........election dates, government policy leaks, football stories.....that are then picked up next day by all the other papers.

Snobbery is a terrible thing.

You probably read the Daily Mail, don't you ? :D

Wow !

It's not like The Sun ever gets anything right, is it..........election dates, government policy leaks, football stories.....that are then picked up next day by all the other papers.

:clap2: Yes I do but it's not snobbery, it's just the sort of paper I like to read, but I do the crossword in the Sun because my mate can't do it in HIS Sun. :clap2:

Wow !

Even page 3 gets airbrushed :P:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

zzippy2.gif

Hiya,

Actually the most northerly confirmed report of a great white in the eastern atlantic was in the mouth of the river loire which is about 100 miles north of la rochelle and about 400 miles from the uk coast

I apologise profusly for my poor geography and the fact that I put South instead of North <_<

which is not that far when you consider white sharks have been recorded making trips of over 12,000 miles(from australia to south africa and back in nine months in the case of a white shark nick named nicole).

My point was the nearest one EVER recorded was 400 miles south of us and even that was a one off. If they did venture into our waters we would have had more records of them either here or near by.

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya,

I apologise profusly for my poor geography and the fact that I put South instead of North <_<

My point was the nearest one EVER recorded was 400 miles south of us and even that was a one off. If they did venture into our waters we would have had more records of them either here or near by.

The shark caught in the mouth of the loire was not the same shark as the one caught off la rochelle that is the point i was making not that you had got north and south confused so it wasn't just a one off. As these sharks are very rare anyway and if they do visit us are likely to be only very occasional visitors plus the fact that no-one is actively looking for them around the UK is it not surprising that we have no records of them, afterall you can go out on a boat in an area where they are known to be and not be guaranteed to actually see one so what the chance of seeing one maybe two very rare visitors over 7500 miles of coastline., virtually zero i would think.

In a way its similar to the megamouth shark, pre 1976 that shark didn't exist then suddenly 1 appeared and since then there have been i think about 39 of them caught or spotted(before anyone comments that these are a deep water shark and different to the great white i do realise this and am only using them as an example of what can stay hidden from view, they are a similar size). just because we have no record of them doesn't mean they're not there(all be it rarely), although as i've stated on another thread about this that i agree with you the photograph of the dorsal fin shown in todays sun bears a much greater resemblance to that of a basking shark than that of a great white.

Edited by snakey1

Hiya,

The shark caught in the mouth of the loire was not the same shark as the one caught off la rochelle that is the point i was making not that you had got north and south confused so it wasn't just a one off.

given the distance between the captures around 80 miles, it makes the most Northerly capture a 1 off, if they had both been captured near each other then it wouldnt be a one off :)

As these sharks are very rare anyway and if they do visit us are likely to be only very occasional visitors plus the fact that no-one is actively looking for them around the UK is it not surprising that we have no records of them, afterall you can go out on a boat in an area where they are known to be and not be guaranteed to actually see one so what the chance of seeing one maybe two very rare visitors over 7500 miles of coastline., virtually zero i would think.

We get plenty of other just as rare and even rarer species caught around the UK while no one is looking for them, we even get muptiple records of some of them, yet with all the commercial activity we have around the UK no Great White has ever been caught.. ever nor have we had any sightings that couldn't have been a miss identified other species.

In a way its similar to the megamouth shark, pre 1976 that shark didn't exist then suddenly 1 appeared and since then there have been i think about 39 of them caught or spotted(before anyone comments that these are a deep water shark and different to the great white i do realise this and am only using them as an example of what can stay hidden from view, they are a similar size). just because we have no record of them doesn't mean they're not there(all be it rarely), although as i've stated on another thread about this that i agree with you the photograph of the dorsal fin shown in todays sun bears a much greater resemblance to that of a basking shark than that of a great white.

The Megamouth, like most of the deep water species newly discoverd, would still be un discoverd if it wasn't for the advances in modern fishing gear allowing the trawlers to target these deep waters on a regular basis. Yes I suppose if the original sample trawls continues, eventualy one of them would have probably caught a megamouth, but if the commercials haddn't started harvesting the deep water species the megamouth would still be all but unknown to science.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350271,00.html

click on the above if you want a good laugh at the latest revelation from the comic!!

does anybody really belive this nonsense????????

:clap2: I suppose it sells papers but I prefer to keep my credibility. :clap2:

Hiya,

The Megamouth, like most of the deep water species newly discoverd, would still be un discoverd if it wasn't for the advances in modern fishing gear allowing the trawlers to target these deep waters on a regular basis. Yes I suppose if the original sample trawls continues, eventualy one of them would have probably caught a megamouth, but if the commercials haddn't started harvesting the deep water species the megamouth would still be all but unknown to science.

The first recorded megamouth shark was actually caught in the sea anchor of a U.S naval boat not by fishermen using modern fishing gear.

I still think that although this sighting has probably incorrectly been identified and is most likely a basking shark it doesn't mean that all sightings have been incorrect and i feel that these fish are very rare visitors to our shores,in saying that i'm not going to waste my time looking for them.