Polish Posters

Leon Roskilly

Guest Brumagem Phil
Its late and I am tired so I will be very brief. You say that the likes of Fred Taylor Dick Walker and so on have eaten coarse fish, i have not but in my early days of angling I did take the odd fish home for the cat. but that was many years ago, the same time Dick and Fred were tucking in to their fillet of roach.

However times have changed, and I would put my house on the fact that present day anglers either in the media or not do not eat coarse fish. well there will always be the exception of course, probably found mostly on AN it would seem, but, outside of here I think you will find this practise is not followed..

I think with respect the rest of your reply is flawed and the ground you are trying to defend is fast turning into quicksand, stop thrashing around it doesn't help!!

Anyway it always good to talk with you, :thumbs: Off to bed up at 5am :headhurt:

WHAT, you use the excuse of bed in an attempt not to lock horns with Vagabond? Shame on you rabbit! LOL (just teasing you before you get all uppity)

I will say though that I think one or two of your remarks smack very much of the 'royal we' as vagabond puts it. You ASSUME everyone else thinks as you do, and thats clearly not the case. I've posted a clear example on here recently..........a fellah who fishes the Avon (who has no internet access or a computer even) fishes ONLY for eels and takes home all he catches. He's no mug angler either and will tell you where on various stretches to catch the best of various types of fish but his love is eels, eels and more eels! Whats more he takes the lot home to either eat (or IMO feed to his punters as scampi!!! LOL). He fishes a simple running ledger set-up wioth worm on the hook and 'feels' for his bites. I've personally watched him land 3 eels and all 3 were lip hooked.......not bad in anyones book, but one or two will condemn him purely 'cos he doesn't practice catch and release.

I have to say that catching fish to feed humans would in most peoples opinion be far more acceptable than bopping a fish on the head just so you can toss it to the cat.

All IMO of course, and fully appreciate you and others may think differently.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that catching fish to feed humans would in most peoples opinion be far more acceptable than bopping a fish on the head just so you can toss it to the cat.

Right, Phil..........and much more acceptable than pulling it out of the water just so you could "throw" it back. (Note that however carefully we anglers return a fish to the water, in the eyes of Joe Public we just chuck it back)

Well yes, but as I have tried to point out, it is not your opinion, Rabbits opinion, or my opinion that counts - it is the opinion of those empowered to make rules for the rest of us that we need to consider.

As for Rabbit, you still have not got the message. I am NOT saying anglers SHOULD eat coarse fish - just that some DO, and the important thing is to RETAIN THE RIGHT for anglers to do just that. I can't put it more succinctly than that.

Anyone who thinks "we put 'em back, so that's alright then" is whistling in the dark - speaking of which, its coming light and I'm going fishing. Might bring a couple of grayling back for supper.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/latest/dis...le_of_wight.php

Angler:

Mr Vokins, of Bembridge, Isle of Wight, who releases every fish he catches, said he didn't fish for records: "I am not about killing sharks, there's not enough of them in the ocean, so I am not bothered about any record."

Non-angler:

This 'amateur fisherman' got his kicks out of torturing this creature for two hours - what a psycho.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest Rabbit
WHAT, you use the excuse of bed in an attempt not to lock horns with Vagabond? Shame on you rabbit! LOL (just teasing you before you get all uppity)

I will say though that I think one or two of your remarks smack very much of the 'royal we' as vagabond puts it. You ASSUME everyone else thinks as you do, and thats clearly not the case. I've posted a clear example on here recently..........a fellah who fishes the Avon (who has no internet access or a computer even) fishes ONLY for eels and takes home all he catches. He's no mug angler either and will tell you where on various stretches to catch the best of various types of fish but his love is eels, eels and more eels! Whats more he takes the lot home to either eat (or IMO feed to his punters as scampi!!! LOL). He fishes a simple running ledger set-up wioth worm on the hook and 'feels' for his bites. I've personally watched him land 3 eels and all 3 were lip hooked.......not bad in anyones book, but one or two will condemn him purely 'cos he doesn't practice catch and release.

With this poor example of your idea of it's ok to eat coarse fish because its our birth right nonsense, it really does show a huge amount of ignorance. You use the example of eels, and this wonderful angler who feels for bites and lip hooks eels, wow!! impressed ? no, not me. This so called angler should, and you realise that eels are in decline, the eel is as important as any other species that swims our rivers, and to take for the 'pot' should not applauded but condemned, as with any other species of coarse fish.

With this sort of naive thinking, and thankfully it is only a few folk like yourself that think that this behaviour is ok, I can assure you that you and your few supporters are in the minority.

You propably would not take a 30lb carp caught from a commercial fishery to eat because you would be prosecuted, because the fish has commercial value, all other fish may not have the same commercial value, but do have an important environmental value.

if you need more convincing, perhaps you should check out the latest fish eating mammal to become extinct, confirmed to-day!!'

This so called angler should, and you realise that eels are in decline, the eel is as important as any other species that swims our rivers, and to take for the 'pot' should not applauded but condemned

I think you should tell that to the commercial eel fishermen!

Rich

Interesting point of view Leon.

Brings to mind

O wad some power the giftie gie us,

To see oursel's as others see us.

Robert Burns

I don't think that angling is in danger of an outright ban, it is in danger of death from a thousand cuts and the first stage is when anglers themselves want to ban things that they don;t want to do.

How about banning commercial carp fisheries, they do nothing for the image of the sport. <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

With this sort of naive thinking, and thankfully it is only a few folk like yourself that think that this behaviour is ok, I can assure you that you and your few supporters are in the minority.

You propably would not take a 30lb carp caught from a commercial fishery to eat because you would be prosecuted, because the fish has commercial value, all other fish may not have the same commercial value, but do have an important environmental value.

The naive thinking is on your part Neil, if you think that fishing for fun, is more morally acceptable in the eyes of Joe public, than fishing for the table.

How can you say that we are in a minority? The poll we had on here showed nearly 70% in favour of retaining the right to eat the fish we catch. I know only a disappointing 130 voted, but still a sizable majority.

I would not take a 30lb carp from a commercial, because, it would be against the rules of the water, and a fish of that size would probably not make good eating.

"Eating specimen sized fish", is a phrase often used in these discussions. Well anyone who thinks that big, old fish make the best eating, are mistaken. I have mentioned the size and type of fish that I have eaten, earlier.

In fact big, old fish, are good for only one thing, that's boosting the ego of the person who catches them. They are probably past spawning, have already contributed plenty to the gene pool, and now compete with the younger, more virile fish for food, and have very little environmental value.

John.

PS, If this is the "fish eating mammal" your on about, then you can hardly compare the situation there, to the one we have here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6935343.stm

In fact we stand more of a chance of making some native fish extinct, by the introduction of other species and strains, than we do by catching for the pot.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

With this poor example of your idea of it's ok to eat coarse fish because its our birth right nonsense, it really does show a huge amount of ignorance. You use the example of eels, and this wonderful angler who feels for bites and lip hooks eels, wow!! impressed ? no, not me. This so called angler should, and you realise that eels are in decline, the eel is as important as any other species that swims our rivers, and to take for the 'pot' should not applauded but condemned, as with any other species of coarse fish.

if you need more convincing, perhaps you should check out the latest fish eating mammal to become extinct, confirmed to-day!!'

Why refer to him as a "so called" angler? He fished with an angle (hook) so he is an angler, or can an angler only be so called if he conforms to your particular standards.

I probably would not take a 30lb carp from a commercial fishery BECAUSE IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE FISHERY RULES. What part of that do you fail to understand?

I would however take a couple of 1lb Perch from a Loch WHERE THE LAW PERMITS ME TO and not feel bad about it.

You have been keen to point out the error of our (those who believe in the right to take the occasional fish) ways. I would be interested to hear an actual defense of the catch and release ethic, ie catching the same named fish repeatedly for fun.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I think with respect the rest of your reply is flawed and the ground you are trying to defend is fast turning into quicksand, stop thrashing around it doesn't help!!

Anyway it always good to talk with you, :thumbs: Off to bed up at 5am :headhurt:

I'll put it down to your being tired, but such comments are usually brought up when someone hasn't a logical answer to the points raised.

Talking of logical answers, these won't be as important as emotion in defending angling. If the public perceives that angling is cruel then no amount of logic will convince them otherwise. And it's public perception that politicians take most notice of, as with them the only thing that matters is getting votes.

As Vagabond has already pointed out the public may well accept angling if the occasional fish is taken for the pot, but they're less likely to do so purely for sport. If you don't believe this, look again at what Vagabond wrote about Germany where catch and release is actually illegal.

I wonder how many German anglers said there's nothing to worry about and that catch and release would never be outlawed?

I just hope UK anglers don't fall into the same trap. :unsure:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest tigger
How about banning commercial carp fisheries, they do nothing for the image of the sport. <_<

I'm not a lover of commercial's myself but they serve a number of good purpose's.

They're a place where a family can go for a days fishing without trudging the outbacks trashing the countryside in the process (in a lot of cases). They're a place where beginners can learn how to fish safley and maybe get some tuition and instruction on how to play, handle and release fish correctly.

To me one of the most important purposes is that they take the pressure off the other natural venues.

I think commersials are a good thing for Angling and am all in favour of them (just not my cup of tea that's all).