Thoughts on spam

wanzelbin

Went fishing for the first time in ages yesterday and caught two very small (1/3 lb?) chub with spam. It was slow going, and nobody else on the river had caught anything much at all. Noting the time had gone past when I had promised my lovely wife that I would be home, I decided to eat the rest of the spam - thereby leaving me bereft of any further bait and preventing me from succumbing to the temptation of further fishing.

As I wandered back to the car it occurred to me that I do this quite often, and that it's the only time I ever eat spam. The first piece is actually quite nice - sweet and salty - but it rapidly becomes sickly and I'm left with pretty nasty indigestion. Then there's thoughts about the quality of livestock that has contributed to my "meal", and concern about the sandy, gritty texture...

Does anyone else eat their bait, perhaps as I do to help you stop fishing and go home, or perhaps you simply find it irresistably nutritional and delicious?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peeler crabs and lugworms - can't beat 'em :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest tigger
Went fishing for the first time in ages yesterday and caught two very small (1/3 lb?) chub with spam. It was slow going, and nobody else on the river had caught anything much at all. Noting the time had gone past when I had promised my lovely wife that I would be home, I decided to eat the rest of the spam - thereby leaving me bereft of any further bait and preventing me from succumbing to the temptation of further fishing.

As I wandered back to the car it occurred to me that I do this quite often, and that it's the only time I ever eat spam. The first piece is actually quite nice - sweet and salty - but it rapidly becomes sickly and I'm left with pretty nasty indigestion. Then there's thoughts about the quality of livestock that has contributed to my "meal", and concern about the sandy, gritty texture...

Does anyone else eat their bait, perhaps as I do to help you stop fishing and go home, or perhaps you simply find it irresistably nutritional and delicious?

Unfortunatly I'm the same as you regarding being a bait eater, especially Spam. First mouthfull's good then it's down hill till it makes you feel "just as you describe".

Guest Rabbit

Don't go fishing without the stuff, I prefer it to any other bait at the moment and has accounted for the only decent fish so far in this trouble hit season.

i don't mind eating it either and the temptation is always to have a cube for the fish and one for me. But I couldn't eat the garlic spam, :yucky: oh no , but the fish love it, black pepper not really my taste either.

I eat nearly a whole tin once and my stomach felt I had a volcano erupting inside,.

I had a Chub of just a shade over 5lb's on huge lump of Spam only two days ago.. I always have a tin of either that or Luncheon Meat (just the plain bog standard stuff) in my bag whenever I go for an evenings Chub fishing on my local rivers. It's outfished most baits 2 to 1 this year.

I've found Plumrose to be a good stiff meaty brand.

I've also taken to mashing tins of Corned Beef into my baiting bucket of Hemp. It leaves a satisfying, oily, meaty slick on the water after you put a bit in..

I try not to, but generally a one for the hook one for me pattern emerges.

When I was a kid ( about 12 ) my dad took me fishing to a pond we used to fish at quite often abotu an hours drive from home. I was hungry at some point in the afternoon so I started eating the luncheon meat after about 10 pieces my dad shouted at me to stop and then explained to me it had be frozen and refrozen about 10 times! He was a bit worried it would give me food poisoning, it didn't though :-)

Errrm

Take Pepperami instead of Spam. Tastes SO much nicer. But Spam is a quality bait.

Unfortunately I've never caught much with on Pepperami because I always eat it! :rolleyes:

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Yes, I also eat luncheon meat when I,m fishing with it, sweetcorn too is a bait I can't resist eating.

I actualy find Coop luncheon meat withstands casting better than Spam

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Bread

I have to use supermarket sliced these days because if I buy a nice fresh crusty loaf I eat more than the fish; well in fact I usually eat all of it.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Not too keen on luncheon meat, but, sweetcorn, chickpeas, and if I use cheese slices, I have to have a nibble.

But to be fair, I have used my sandwiches as bait, and caught, so that kind of evens it up......... doesn't it? :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John