Has the nations obsession with Carp gone too far ?

rarepleasures

lol at that comment Tigger

I'm not bagging on all builders etc but the ones that frequent my local commercial seem to be particularly lairy in the sterotypical manner that you'd imagine a Bristolian Builder to be (laughter).

I haven't been back there since the beginning of the year when it was 'quiet'....I can only imagine the carnage now lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
The current scene is such that I want nothing to do with most of it, that is true. I find it pretty bleak and on days like this when I'm tired and stressed I tend to get ranty about it :rolleyes:

It's that bad m8 ? I think you'd be better havin a couple of hours kip Anderoo, chill out we don't want you doin owt silly now.

Seems to me that while traditional river anglers, fishing for roach, dace, bream etc are definitely on the decrease they have been replaced by stereotypical carp/barbel anglers who have umpteen rods cast as far as possible in every direction and spend all their time shouting "Oi mate, I've got a line out there"

Not really an improvement.

Tim

Seems to me that while traditional river anglers, fishing for roach, dace, bream etc are definitely on the decrease they have been replaced by stereotypical carp/barbel anglers who have umpteen rods cast as far as possible in every direction and spend all their time shouting "Oi mate, I've got a line out there"

Not really an improvement.

I didn't get the line there quote as I was there first but I was on an over night bream session down the Thames last weekend when I got decended on from one side. Four of them in about 15 yards from me 2 with 2 rods the other 2 with 3 casting as far as possible and talk about noise from the alarms Ive never heard anything like it don't think they had an off switch for when they were setting the bobbins.

It did finaly quieten down once the lager had taken effect and they had gone to sleep although I did have to shout at one point that they had a fish on one rod that they didn't have an alarm on I could just hear the bait runner going crazy.

The next bit was a bit naughty on my part. Im not sure if its me but after the locks stop working on the thames the flow on the river increases so most of their lines ended up in my swim. I got caught up in one after about 30 seconds of pulling line off his bait runner and the alarm going mental he got up I said how his lines had shifted his reaction? he went back to bed!

The scissors came out then and I cut his end tackle off :rolleyes: along with the other 3 lines that I caught over the next hour and a half

I did get a few bream as well didn't count the small ones but had 10 between 5 and 7lb

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Guest Brumagem Phil

Interesting debate and some good thoughts from most contributors.

The argument about lousy fishermen being on the rivers and huge lakes just doesnt add up.......these kind of people are lazy, thats why they fish commercials. I know a few of em.......I invite em down the river with me and within an hour they are bored to tears.

If commercials didnt exist, the number of people who fish as a hobby would decline hugely purely because what is left is so bloody hard and they won't do 'hard'.

Guys, guys, guys, lets not get too wound up over this. Commercial fisheries have their place in fishing and they're here to stay, so lets get used to the idea.

Many anglers have cut their teeth on commercial fisheries and I even fish them in the winter for a bit of action. I personally think they're a great way to introduce anglers, young and old, to carp fishing. And if you don't like the place, go somewhere else!

What I don't understand are the generalisations about the type of people that fish commercial fisheries and the general 'tarring of the same brush' regarding the handling of carp. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the sweeping statements made on this thread (as they do on other threads) really make me chuckle as 9 times out of 10 they're unfounded opinions at best. I mean, who are 'they'? LOL!!!

Let's keep it civil please chaps.

;)

Before last week I though fishing for Carp was just what some people preferred to do.

But for a great many people at Woodlakes it was about trophy hunting and the only limits to what they would do to get that fish was those imposed on them by the law or the fishery.

Tony

Tony

Before last week I though fishing for Carp was just what some people preferred to do.

But for a great many people at Woodlakes it was about trophy hunting and the only limits to what they would do to get that fish was those imposed on them by the law or the fishery.

Tony

Yep....all about numbers, numbers & more numbers

Frankly when I meet people at these places and they start telling me about the hauls or bags they've had out in an hour etc my brain just switches off Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I still have to chuckle at some of these guys though striding around in full camo gear in the blazing sunshine/heat bombarding everything in sight with spods.....it's like battle of the atlantic (laughter).

Should I join in this topic? Ex plumber/builder/white van man...still got the white van :)

But, I don't drink alchohol, I was well educated at a Grammar school, i am articulate, well respected by my friends and neighbors, and a pretty decent guy by all accounts.

But I carp fish (a lot) 3 rods/pods/barrow/bivvie/ the works..............I fish what may be called "semi commercials", not puddles, mostly 10 acres or more, but well stocked with big fish, and pretty pressured at times.

Yes there are some lardies, but there are a damned site more that aren't fishing, and from what I see, lardarse and booze seem to be the norm every where nowadays. There definitely seems to be fewer of them this year....maybe the ticket price stops them ( £250) , maybe the bubble HAS burst? Most of the yob element seem to have faded away from where I fish...they soon find it is not quite so easy as they thought, simply turning up and chucking loads of bait in ( "I done 25k of bait for one fish" is the proud shout)

As a non drinker, I would suggest banning alcholol (completely), solve lots of problems................just imagine having to do something else for amusement other than getting ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic