Casting Help

Elton

Posted on behalf of Kev. Please add all replies to this thread:

hi

i wonder if you could help me with my casting.i have just started fishing and people tell me to pick a spot on the far bank to cast at but every time i cast out i always seem to veer of to the right and i struggle with the distance.9 times out of 10 i'll end up in a tree.anything you can tell me would be a great help, thankyou kev.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Practice! :)

Start with short casts, underarm casts to help you get the hang of when to release the line from the reel.

Tie a smallish weight on the end and practice with that, less tangly than a float/shot etc.

Got a back garden or any safe area nearby that doesn't have any trees?

There's more to going fishing than catching fish.

Picking one spot to cast to is a start, but you still have to cast towards it.

You won't achieve that if your left hand's at 8 o'clock and your right hand's at 2 o'clock (I'm assuming you're right handed).

Keep the rod upright and then cast towards your chosen target.

It's not the only way to do it but it should be fairly foolproof until you are more proficient.

some casting tips Here http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/chavender/casting.html

the casting to the right ,bit if its because of wind assistance.The simple solution would be to watch your first cast ,see how much it veries off line then adjust your stance to counter the deflection so when it goes to the right it'll end up where you intended.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

To Kev

there are many who after years of fishing cannot accurately cast. It is something that takes loads of practice or a little natural talent.

As said before practice in your garden.

Sometimes in some waters and under some conditions, cast accurately time and time again and you will bag up. Don't do it right and you may catch very little. The suggestion to use a pole is exactly for that reason you can pole pot in and be spot on. This pays huge dividends in difficult conditions but it can be done with rod and line it justs takes practice.

Casting a feeder 50yds accuratyely makes you a match winner.

good luck

John

hi

i wonder if you could help me with my casting.i have just started fishing and people tell me to pick a spot on the far bank to cast at but every time i cast out i always seem to veer of to the right and i struggle with the distance.9 times out of 10 i'll end up in a tree.anything you can tell me would be a great help, thankyou kev

sounds like you're casting over your shoulder rather than over your head. If you're hitting a tree over head you've probably got too much drop between the end of your rod and the hook or else your rod is too long for the swim that you're in. If you're overcasting and hitting the trees on the far bank trying slowing the cast my placing your finger very lightly on the spool to slow it down.

Tony

Like someone said, practise and more practise, in a garden, park or field.

Don't worry about the distance to start with, just make sure you get the direction right. Once you can do that regularly, then work on your distance.

Too many beginners try to hit the horizon, and end up sending it anywhere.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John