Watching Fish

TrevBoy

As a relative noob, I spent a very interesting couple of hours watching some big tench and bream in my crystal-clear canal swim the other day. I thought I'd share these findings with other newbies.

1. It took about half an hour for the fish to be attracted by the groundbait. Of course I don't know how far they came from but there was no sign of them before the gb went in.

2. Once in the swim, they were not particularly bothered by my presence, or that of my dog who stands in the water staring at the float). I could freely walk about and wave my arms (!) and they did not scare. The only things which did startle them were thunder and very large trucks passing nearby. Even then, they came back within less than a minute.

3. The gb was very localised, but the fish all circled, or cruised as you might say, over quite a large area. Perhaps the smells made them cruise in wider circles, and they certainly appeared to be sniffing out food over the whole area, not just where the gb was visible on the bed.

4. I was fishing on the bottom, with a small shot just a few inches from the bait (corn). The fish got spooked by brushing into the line. By having a much longer tail on the bed it meant that the fish could come across the bait without brushing against my line. This lead to a lot more bites.

5. I couldn't help thinking that whether or not the fish found my bait amongst the gb and other gunge on the bed was a hit and miss affair. They deffo did not pick it up and spit it out again. They just seldom found it. When they did they sucked it in, leading to the float sailing off..... This lead me to believe that just twitching the bait slightly might bring it out into the open. Don't assume that, because the bait is in the right area, it'll be found if they are hungry. Maybe its under a leaf, hidden by gunge, or something similar.

I really can't stress how interesting and revealing my session was. Of course, if it leads to more fish being landed still remains to be seen! In short, if you get the chance, fish a clear, shallow peg some time and you'll perhaps get a better picture of what's going on down there.

By the way, the session saw me land several 5lb bream and two tench of nearly that size.

Well done for taking the time to study the fish and thanks for sharing some excellent observations.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Excellent post! This is where you find out out real information and where many people should invest more effort. The focus on bait and rigs in modern angling has seen (in my opinion) a corresponding drop in watercraft. I was surprised at the response the Korda underwater videos got - all they are, are what you've done for yourself on a water that we'll never fish :rolleyes:

It helps that the water's clear though :)

One of the main reasons I miss the full closed season is that I used to spend 3 months just observing unpressured fish and learning about their behaviour, feeding habits, patrol routes, reactions to certain weather conditions, etc. With people on the bank all year that's more difficult now.

I've just started fishing a canal for the first time, and the amount of detritus on the bottom was a worry, so I've learned something from your post. Thanks :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

With you being, (as you put it) "A relative noob", your post shows you've learned something that many seasoned anglers have yet to learn. Watching the reactions of the fish for a few hours, can teach you more than just fishing 'blind' for a whole season.

It's something I enjoy almost as much as actually fishing for them. You should try it without having tackle with you, just some bait. It can be very frustrating, not being able to cast a bait to them, but it's also very rewarding, and helps when you do eventually fish for them.

My only reservation though is, I would cut out the waving your hands in the air bit, it can be counter productive. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My only reservation though is, I would cut out the waving your hands in the air bit, it can be counter productive. ;)

If it's a busy canal towpath it probably won't matter much. However, I would avoid having a rod overhanging the water when fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As a relative noob, I spent a very interesting couple of hours watching some big tench and bream in my crystal-clear canal swim the other day. I thought I'd share these findings with other newbies.

I think theres thousands of seasoned anglers who haven`t even bothered to do half of what you did.

Brilliant post mate. I somehow doubt you`ll be a `newbie` for too long. With observation and reasoning like that I`m sure you`ll be coming up through the ranks like wild fire!

wolf.gif

I think theres thousands of seasoned anglers who haven`t even bothered to do half of what you did.

Brilliant post mate. I somehow doubt you`ll be a `newbie` for too long. With observation and reasoning like that I`m sure you`ll be coming up through the ranks like wild fire!

I agree completely! A more usual 'reasoning' goes either 'they just weren't having it today mate', or 'these new boilies are crap, I'll have to get on the superultraplex' :rolleyes: