TRAWLERMEN

BULLDRAGON

Tonight BBC1 8PM

It's a look back at the 2 seasons of the show.

SKY+ on to record already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll think you'll find that most posters couldn't give a toss about trawlermen, from what I have read in the past. I used to think the sun shone out of their ass, but not any more. I won't eat fish any more.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I actually enjoy the shows. Whatever people think of them, it's a dangerous job and the programmes about them are eye-openers. Rather them than me.

People are told to eat fish by scientists and the Government, so the demand is there. There are, without doubt, areas of fisheries management that need serious attention, but I think it would be a shame if anglers decided that they didn't like commercial fishermen fullstop. There's good and bad in every walk of life.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'll think you'll find that most posters couldn't give a toss about trawlermen, from what I have read in the past. I used to think the sun shone out of their ass, but not any more. I won't eat fish any more.

Everyone to their own Cory , that's why they sell different flavoured crisps , eh?

Everyone to their own Cory , that's why they sell different flavoured crisps , eh?
It's not what I was brought up to beleive my friend. A lot of my family come from the NE of Scotland, and I still have friends in places like Invergordon and Wick.

Sure they do a tough job, in a very dangerous environment. So do supply boat crews, chemical tanker men and Trinity House personnel.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

It's not what I was brought up to beleive my friend. A lot of my family come from the NE of Scotland, and I still have friends in places like Invergordon and Wick.

Sure they do a tough job, in a very dangerous environment. So do supply boat crews, chemical tanker men and Trinity House personnel.

Live and let live??

I watched one episode. They caught a netfull of coalfish, decided they weren't worth much and would take up hold space that could otherwise be used for cod and just dumped the whole lot overboard dead.

I won't watch it again as a matter of principle.

I may not be able to influence wider fishing policy as an individual but by not watching, I can at least hope to influence the shows producers not to commission another serise. If this takes money directly out of the pockets of the individual people featured in the show (I assume they are paid for participation) who are willing to abuse the natural world.....Good.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Is it just me being so shallow? What's the problem with the show?

It depicts the hard times that the north sea and the industry of trawling have to offer.

Surely we are not that shallow to believe that dumping of unwanted fish never happens?

It happens , get on with it.

We don't live in a perfect world (yet) but the powers that be are having a very good go at it , so , fingers crossed , it shouldn't be too long.

I'll tell you the sort of thing that hacks me off. I am not sure if this is true it is an anecdote told to me by someone I know in France who works on French commercial fishing boats. He was working on this boat that had used up all its cod quota, but still had some quota left for cod roe, so they went out, netted tons of cod, took the roe and dumped the cod. Like i say, might not be true and if it is it may only be Froggie boats that do it, but somehow I doubt it. If it were up to me they could catch whatever the hell they liked and use a mesh the size of panty-hose, but when all the fish are gone don't tell us we did not tell you so.

This sounds like a no-lose situation.

If most people enjoy watching the show, they will get a slightly better feel for how dangerous a job it is.

If most people are horrified, it may cause pressure on the government to make some changes.

So, somehthing of value for those who enjoy watching the process and those who think it is horrible.

The "their practices are horrible" folks can watch the BBC online blogs for horrified outcries and if none (or very few) are seen, can assume that most non-anglers don't object to it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President