Earths Wildest Waters - The big fish

wotnobivvy

Imo the programme is all about PC and ball all to do with angling.

John...your right Matt Hayes looks seriously old lol, he looks more and more like Nanny McFee...bought time he had that daft tooth pulled !

Edited by Tigger

I used to think as you do Steve, but my opinion has changed over time.

Your nephew and niece are lucky in having an uncle that fished, and could explain things to them. Those that aren't so lucky, often copy what they see on these programmes, because they don't know any different. I feel the demise of the old type angling clubs has partially caused this. They were places where new anglers, young and old, could get a grounding in the basics, and progress. Now many just get the tackle they are told they need, and head to the nearest commercial type water, and fish. In my experience, they are often surrounded by 'anglers', that started the same way, so it becomes an ongoing thing, that eventually becomes the norm'. We had the noisy, couldn't care less ones around 'back in the day', but they were soon shown the error of their ways by the rest of the members

John.

The club I am involved in is predominantly river and struggling to get young members because of this, hence no grants for improvements. Another local club was trying to gain more young members by running courses, they were finding that it was their mums bringing them. The kids would go back to their computer games and their mums were taking it up. This just shows how things have changed. Apart from the eastern european members I am usually the youngest fisherman on the bank, and I am 45.

Bit disappointed to see Emma go, but probably the right choice.

I liked this week because of the bamboo pole challenge - I think that's really the sort of thing that separates the people who can fish from the people who can follow instructions.