Another Rod Question

Rusty

None for ages and then two come along at once.

The other day whilst fishing in drizzly conditions I noticed that the normally clear finish covering the whippings on my rod had taken on a milky appearance. It’s not the first time it’s happened and what’s strange is that all whippings were affected to the same degree. It’s under the finish and couldn’t be cleaned off, it doesn’t happen on dry days.

Is moisture getting under the finish do you think and do I need to do anything? The rod is 6 years old now and is used regularly but I wouldn’t have expected this to happen, no rings are loose though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

None for ages and then two come along at once.

The other day whilst fishing in drizzly conditions I noticed that the normally clear finish covering the whippings on my rod had taken on a milky appearance. It’s not the first time it’s happened and what’s strange is that all whippings were affected to the same degree. It’s under the finish and couldn’t be cleaned off, it doesn’t happen on dry days.

Is moisture getting under the finish do you think and do I need to do anything? The rod is 6 years old now and is used regularly but I wouldn’t have expected this to happen, no rings are loose though.

:fishing1: It happens on 1 of my custom built beach rods, I'm informed it happens because it was damp when my rod was built so if it rains the high build reacts to the rain, strange to believe but that's what the rod builder told me. :fishing1:

Rusty,

Epoxys have "trade-off's". Hard clear that show off the whipping when dry - or - more flexible epoxy without the shine but perhaps more functional.

This argument has raged for years among fly rod builders in the US. I bet the same is true in the UK. Harrison might even tell you their choice and why.

Phone

PS - I don't have an opinion or a clue since "best" is often a matter of personal choice.