what multiplier?

squibs

Can any of you fine fellows give me advice on multipliers?

I've had enough of birds nesting my cheapo reel and so it's time to fork out for a decent reel and running the wraith of the domestic planning authority. It'll be cheaper in the long run, as I'm slowly using up my stock pile off line. That's what I'm going to tell her anyway.

I been looking at the Abu 6500 mag elite and the Penn 525 mag.

I fish in Norfolk with the annual trip to South Devon, so it's mainly clean bottom fishing. Has anyone got any thoughts on the two reels. I need a reel that will cope with my brawn and ineptitude.

Also, can anyone give me some advice on reel general tuning or is it a mythical art and I'm way off the mark, please?

Tight lines. :fishing:

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any of you fine fellows give me advice on multipliers?

I've had enough of birds nesting my cheapo reel and so it's time to fork out for a decent reel and running the wraith of the domestic planning authority. It'll be cheaper in the long run, as I'm slowly using up my stock pile off line. That's what I'm going to tell her anyway.

I been looking at the Abu 6500 mag elite and the Penn 525 mag.

I fish in Norfolk with the annual trip to South Devon, so it's mainly clean bottom fishing. Has anyone got any thoughts on the two reels. I need a reel that will cope with my brawn and ineptitude.

Also, can anyone give me some advice on reel general tuning or is it a mythical art and I'm way off the mark, please?

Tight lines. :fishing:

squibs

:clap2: Either reel is fine straight out of the box, no need for tuning unless you are tournament casting. :clap2:

I think that the Abu 6500 v Penn 525 question is like asking a group of blokes if the prefer blondes or brunettes. You'll get a fairly even split, with a few also liking both and the occasional collector :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I think that the Abu 6500 v Penn 525 question is like asking a group of blokes if the prefer blondes or brunettes. You'll get a fairly even split, with a few also liking both and the occasional collector :D

For me the ABU 6500 ct mag is the blonde :lol::lol: Cracking reel for clean ground fishing.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

For clean ground I would use the Abu, smaller and lighter and more comfy to use on a lighter rod as well, I have 2 Mag Elites. The 525 Mag is an excellent casting reel but I don't use mine enough anymore, mainly as they are too heavy for the bass rods which I use. The retreive is faster but it's not required on the clean ground.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Nothing in it mate

exept as stated the wieght issue.

Im an ABU man my self more out of habit than anything else..

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

For me the ABU 6500 ct mag is the blonde :lol::lol: Cracking reel for clean ground fishing.

Cannot fault the wisdom of those words, mate. :clap:

And, they cast a mile and the drag is smooooooooth.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

How's the 'adjustability' on the 6500mag? I have a 525 supermag filled to the brim with 20lb berkley big game. It goes like this:-

mags set to 6 (slowest) - no thumb braking needed at all on any cast, it's impossible to birdsnest and feels very restricted.

mags on 5.5 - feels about right, can get 'line lift' at the top of a cast if it goes high but won't birdy

mags on 5 - will birdy without judicious use of thumb.

So effectively I don't use most of the mag adjustability. I guess things will change once the line level drops due to losing gear in snags etc. How does the ABU compare?

PS - if you don't like to regularly take your reels apart to maintain them get the Penn - ABU's are made of monkey metal these days.

PPS. - reel tuning - start slow and work towards faster until it gets too fast, then return to a comfortable level. Also, only change one thing at a time or you won't know which change has had an effect.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I find the Abu Mag ultra smooth, very rarely birdy unlike the 525 Mag which is simply uncontrollable if you turn the magnets off by mistake. both are excellent when set correctly.

If I see you about this weekend ask and you can try an Abu Mag out, normally have one in the car.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society