Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

I have to agree with that. As there's no lisensing any plank can have one and pop away at anything that moves.
Do you mean that tigger, banned? They should not be banned, but they should be controlled a bit better than they are know

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No this is a UK problem, you don't see this knife and gun crime in amongst young people in the rest of Europe, not to the extent that we have here. What our hoodlums need is a taste of the Gendarmes and the CRS. These guys don't eff about.

Once again maybe because of the language thing the European youth doersnt gravitate towards the US youth culture?

As for your last comment I totally agree.Todays youth has zero respect/fear of our Police. Can be seen without even leaving your living room just watch one of the Police programmes!

Do you mean that tigger, banned? They should not be banned, but they should be controlled a bit better than they are know

I agree 100% there Cory.I dont think banning anything solves the real core issues

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well they should deffo be controlled much better.

You keep asking me for evidence, I cannot give any, but I suspect you knew that. However I find your 'noble' comment baffling......for who the fox, or the asses on horses?

Sorry to hear you do not find all my posts 'good' as this one, however I must stress that I always attempt to post quality, given that I do not have unlimited time to spend on here I think I do rather a good job , and that I am still posting despite some on here still not willing to common sense at times <_<

Look I'm sorry I was trying really hard not to put words in your mouth, I should have just stuck to humane.

Let me get one thing quite straight here though. I have no more time for the 'asses on horses' than you do, OK. In Scotland there are or were very few hunts, neither I nor anyone in my family who are all country born and bred have any time for jerks on horses charging around the place, causing more damage and harm than any fox ever did. Killing foxes was a chore to us, like chopping firewood or bringing in the coal. I can assure you that there are nicer, more relaxing ways of spending an evening than going out with terriers, spades and cymag to kill vermin, but it has to be done, because a hill farmer cannot afford not to.

We were not tenants, and we did not tug any forelocks to no strutting laird.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Air rifles don't need banning (neither did self-loading rifles and pistols). Why make the majority suffer because of the actions of a few mindless idiots?

The problems with a percentage of today's youth (and indeed, many not so youthful), is a complete lack of discipline brought about by ****-poor (excuse my language) parenting skills, which all kicked off post WWII with people wanting their kids to be happy at all costs. Single parenting, which we seem to encourage in the UK, is also to blame. A family with no father figure (be that a male or female father figure) is handicapped from the outset. If you look at the underachievers in schools, and tick that off against single-parent families, you get a very high correlation. Ditto with prisons. Of course it's not PC to ever say this publicly. And no, I didn't say a single parent can't do a great job and have perfect kids, of course they can, but it's rare. Interestingly, there is a large section of the black community that think males don't ever have to be a father figure, hence the disproportionately high levels of crime and violence in those communities. Can't say that either, not PC you know.

When I read the news about some young teenagers who have beaten/stamped/knifed/burnt etc. etc. some defenceless victim, I always wonder why the parents aren't in court. If you trained a dog to be viscious, you would be prosecuted. It's about time we prosecuted parents where it can be proven that their actions (or lack thereof) in raising their children have turned them into the monsters they are.

I wasn't a nice child, far from it, but my parents wouldn't have been prosecuted because they really did try their hardest. Oh, and incidentally, I am both a single parent, and living with my partner, and she is a single parent too.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Once again maybe because of the language thing the European youth doersnt gravitate towards the US youth culture?

As for your last comment I totally agree.Todays youth has zero respect/fear of our Police. Can be seen without even leaving your living room just watch one of the Police programmes!

I don't know if it's a language thing or not Budgie. My kids are bilingual so when they watch a DVD they always watch it in English if they can. My youngest won't watch films with too much gore, the make him throw up or give him bad dreams, but he likes to play games with all the gore turned on. Perhaps playing violent computer games with no adult guidance or supervision is a contributory factor but it is too easy just to blame the media, methinks.

I remember once about five years ago my ex had some local 'ladies who lunch' (yes, they have them in France too :rolleyes:) round for coffee one afternoon. Young William was playing some pretty gory first-person shoot-em up on his PC and one of these ladies was shocked that Fanny (my ex) allowed her son to play such a violent game. Before she could say anything young Will turned to the lady and said very politely, very formally 'Madame, you are insulting my intelligence. In case you had not noticed this is indeed a game, this is not reality, I know the difference between a game and reality' I'm paraphrasing a bit, because he was speaking French to the lady not English. My ex had to stuff her fist in her mouth and run down to the cellar to have a giggle in private.

As for respecting the police, even I have a lot more respect or fear of the French Gendarmes, CRS and Police Nationale (they have a lot of different police in the France). The only ones that you can chat to are the Police de Ville, but like I said before, they are more like armed traffic wardens than Police, although they have full power of arrest all the same.

I have been off the PC for a day or so as I have had a friend to stay and we have been fishing.

The internet is wonderful, one gets the chance to interact with such a diverse group. I find it difficult to imagine how some people find the front to set themselves up as such humanitarians and yet have such double standards. For example how can it be ok to eat the bodies intensivley produced animals who have led unnatural lives, had their growth forced on by artificial means (misery meat as someone here called it) and yet at the same time set themselves up as the judges of those who shoot and hunt. How can you say 'hunting is cruel' with the same mouth used to chew up pigs and birds who never spent a day of their lives doing and being what they evolved to be? What moral miswiring leads someone to waffle on about how wonderfully they care for a fish, a fairly simple life form, which they would never dream of harming, yet at the same time show no remorse about catching it on a piece of the processed dead body of a highly developed animal like pig? or do they catch their barbel, and chub on veggy substitute luncheon meat?

Saying 'oh but its ok to kill things for food', but not for pleasure , doesnt really work out as a logical argument. The dead bodies of animals are eaten for pleasure, not a necessity as the millions of perfectly healthy vegetarians around the world provide testimony to. Eat the stuff in plastic wrapping from the supermarket, or the American styled hamburger place if you must, but don't think that gives you the right to abuse those who get their dinner by more honest means.

It's a bit disappointing that the arguments against were not a bit more informed, and that a bit more knowlege of the subject was displayed. I have argued the case with some 'antis' who actually did know thier stuff, who for example knew that those who shoot foxes with the lamp not 'hunting and vice versa, and that lamps do not 'blind' foxes, but are used to illuminate the target. Lots of the anti hunting with hounds people cited shooting as a better alternative, yet here we get someone condeming the latter while calling it the former!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I think that is the case, and because of a shared (kind of) language, our young people are easier targets of American cultural imperialism. I find a few good old honest Anglo-Saxon expletitives less worrying then all that 'hey, way to go dude' stuff.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Hi Emma.

I think that this 'hunting' word has a lot to do with it. To me 'fox hunting' should have been called 'fox chasing'. Hunting to me conjures up images of someone creeping through a wood, forest thick, grass, peat bog, trying to get a shot at an animal before it sees you and runs away. That appeals to me, especially if the quarry is going to be shared amongst my family and friends.

Chasing what is a fairly inedible animal (dog fox curry is not a delicacy I want to try) over hill and dale with 20 horses, a pack of dogs and god knows how many hangers on seems like a complete waste of bl00dy time to me. I know it's also a social occasion and I like a good hack and a **** up as same as the next man or lady, but don't see the point of chasing a fox en-route to the pub. If foxes are a problem on your farm shoot them, snare them, gas them, wait until spring time and you can dig out a whole den. I remember my granddad dug out 3 or 4 dens in one week. That's more foxes than a hunt would get in a month of Sundays.

Shooting driven game birds is to me, the 'hunting' equivalent of feathering for mackerel. I never liked it when I was a kid, mostly because it meant that my movements were curtailed when the shooters were there, But also because I thought that the men, they were mostly men who came and shot the pheasants that I had watched being reared were a bunch of pr!cks. I didn't know what a pr!ck was in those days, I was only eight or nine, but I do know now, and I don't think my initial judgement was in error. Most of them couldn't have shot a pheasant if they had to 'hunt' for it

I'm not an anti BTW. Never have been, the only thing I want a ban on is politicians banning things.

Have not been involved with this Thread, not been very well the last few days, but i have just read all posts and found most very interesting.

Found this on another site and thought it may raise a smile.

post-5087-1224222605_thumb.jpg

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.