Hemp seed to become illegal.....

Si...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So regardless of having the same Latin name the seeds we use as fshing bait are not the same as the seeds used to grow canabis or put another (and possibly more poinient) way you cant grow canibis from the ones we use for bait? is that right?
Budgie. The seeds are the same. If I showed you an industrial hemp seed and a 'cannabis' hemp seed you would not be able to see any difference. If I showed you a leaf from a hemp plant and another from a 'cannibis' plant you would not be able to see any difference. If you rolled industrial hemp up and smoked it in a joint, it would smell just the same as 'cannabis'. The seeds that you use for bait might germinate and grow into a plant , but you are never going to get stoned from it, malheursement.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Yes they are both Cannabis sativa.

Presumably in the same way that carp, whether they be wildies, mirrors, commons, leathers etc are all Cyprinus carpio and dogs, from rotties to dachshunds and everything in between, are all Canis lupus familiaris.

In years past, when you bought 'song bird' mix to feed your birds, it contained a substantial quantity of high-thc hemp seed and the birds sang so well because they got a bit high from their food.
Sorry Newt but this bit is just not true, and I will post some evidence shortly but I just happen to know that there is almost zero THC in any hemp seed, whether it would grow into a psycho active plant or not.

Evidence.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Like the man said "There is no confusion about what constitutes cannabis seeds," :rolleyes:

So really (thanks for explainng BTW guys!) its just a play on words no real benifit would come about (in regards to stopping people growng puff) by banning hemp? Might as well ban King Size Rizzla papers then I suppose? :rolleyes: or solve the alcohol problem by making pint pots llegal!

At this point would ike to say I dont do drugs myself and having been around them quite a lot dont think they are as harmless as a lot would have us believe.Ive seen drugs of all classes wreck lives be it Heroin or just a bit of "harmless" puff. BUT I dont reckon thats the Governments real problem with them....they simply dont get any Tax from them! and trying to control them costs money. I say that as Ive seen both smoking and drinking cause just as much (if not more) harm in society but never seen any Government really try to ban them.And why? simply in my mind because the enomous amount they get in from tax on both.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So really (thanks for explainng BTW guys!) its just a play on words no real benifit would come about (in regards to stopping people growng puff) by banning hemp? Might as well ban King Size Rizzla papers then I suppose? :rolleyes: or solve the alcohol problem by making pint pots llegal!
That's about the size of it. Most of the stuff that you hear about being grown in this country is not even grown from seed, they are cloned (i.e. they grow them from cuttings)

Thats all very well but the question is still "are canabis seeds and hemp seeds still one and the same".

Hemp seeds ARE cannabis seeds, its just that they are as similar to a wild cannabis plant that grows in India (for instance), as a wild Indian plant is to a strain of skunk. Cannabis plants grown from hemp seeds do contain THC, but in such small quantities that you would be coughing yourself hoarse before you got much of an effect from them. I should imagine that hemp seeds imported for fishing and used back in the Sixties would have grown into stronger plants than those on sale in tackle shops today. Virtually all of it is grown in Britain and is a by-product of the crops that are grown legally under licence. I think most of it is sold as pigeon food, in fact I have heard of pigeon keepers who have had dozens of the plants growing from spilled seed all around the lofts. I have a feeling that some of the larger hempseeds such as Manchurian hemp, might have been potentially stronger than the standard varieties.

The proposed Bill seems to be just a stunt from a publicity seeking nonentity, although it is quite ironic that it should be proposed by a member of the Liberal Party.

By the way, I have a fairly strong feeling that the original Levis were made from hemp fibre.

Further edit: so it seems even stranger that one of the most useful and eco-friendly crops on the planet is so restricted:

http://www.hemp.co.uk/bodyTextiles.html

http://www.naturalcollection.com/organic/hemp-guide-new.aspx

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Further edit: so it seems even stranger that one of the most useful and eco-friendly crops on the planet is so restricted:

http://www.hemp.co.uk/bodyTextiles.html

http://www.naturalcollection.com/organic/hemp-guide-new.aspx

That is because we have this silly system where we vote for f@ckwits, called politicians to run our countries for us.

Thats all very well but the question is still "are canabis seeds and hemp seeds still one and the same".

I believe it is Budgie, I was also under the impression it was treated to prevent it germinating. apparently for it to be " any good " you would have to re -grow several plants from the initial seed ?