live bait

***Simon***

Agree with Newt as to hook shape - or use a treble. Here is the result

Posted Image

12 lb 8 oz

[ 19. July 2005, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flybynight

Have to agree with that last post: I don't usually get too excited about other people's fishing techniques (as I wouldn't really invite their comment on my own :) )...but chopping the tail off a live animal in the name of sport is truly within the definition of barbaric. I am reasonably convinced that there is a material difference between catching a fish with a hook in its mouth and deliberately mutilating a fish in such a manner for bait. At some point we do have to ask some questions about fish and pain, surely?

I wait the flames...and OK: but I really do (genuinely) want to hear the philosophy/theory about why that would be OK.

Cheers,

FBN

how do you think sharks are caught and other big game fish, live bait is often used. Most of us on hear would use live peelers, live rag and lug worms, where do we draw the line, BAN USING HOOKS, BAN FISHING FOR REAL FISH?

Any surgestions?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

i dont have a problem with live-baiting.... wouldnt do it myself, but i can see that it is an effective method.

what i have a problem with is the thought of someone cutting a fishes tail off in order to cause it more pain and therefore act more injured to predators - that is just plain cruel

The only safe baits would be bread and sweetcorn - even luncheon meat involves killing pigs. Most sea baits - worm, crab, squid, mackeral - are live or were once. I can understand anglers who only use flies or lures for that reason (and plastic baits like Gulp! are getting so good they might take over naturals), but in the USA for example they use live baits far more extensively than we do here. I think it is a matter of personal conscience, for some odd reason I use live worms but I always kill crab or fish baits, I don't feel comfortable otherwise. The only exception is sandeel, and I'm not too sure about that either! If this was an ethic debate, you could argue that fishing catch and release is no different than hunting foxes but instead of the hounds killing it, it was grabbed by the huntsmen, held under water for a photograph, then let go. Let's face it, antis could have a field day with anglers if they wanted - but I think we should all be allowed to set our own personal boundaries and standards.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

If your shark fishing in Florida, on a busy boat,

with braid, its the prefered method :(

Sorry did not mean to upset anyone :(

Oh cr*p...creeps out the back door

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Flybynight:

... chopping the tail off a live animal in the name of sport is truly within the definition of barbaric.  

... but I really do (genuinely) want to hear the philosophy/theory about why that would be OK.

Flybynight - if you can already make a flat statement that it is barbaric, I have to question your wanting to hear from us barbarians about our philosophy.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President