No unhooking mat

dapper64

Now I know that I'm probably holding my hand out to the driven nail of crucifixion but I don't use or own a unhooking mat ,is this wrong? how many other people on here dont use them?I don't own a weighing sling either I usually unhook and weigh my fish while they are still in the landing net on wet grass .chris yates and bob james didn't use them in passion for angling and they are legends.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

leg ends,they also used knotty nets do you? ,if they refilmed the frensham scenes they would have unhooking mats about their person its now mandatory ,they could knock up some tweed ones :D

and hopefully the bailiff would kick the kelly kettle into the pond! its classed as a fire

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Now I know that I'm probably holding my hand out to the driven nail of crucifixion but I don't use or own a unhooking mat ,is this wrong? how many other people on here dont use them?I don't own a weighing sling either I usually unhook and weigh my fish while they are still in the landing net on wet grass .chris yates and bob james didn't use them in passion for angling and they are legends.

Don't worry mate, your not the only one. I haven't used an unhooking mat for years.

Mind you I don't target pike or carp. Most other fish I unhook in the landing net, but I do carry a couple of bin liners, that can be used if I need to lay a fish on rough ground.

I very rarely weigh a fish, unless it's exceptional, or take photos for that matter.

I know I'm not welcome at some venues, but what the hell, there are plenty of other waters about. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My club rules insist on them if targetting carp and pike. Most fisheries do too.

I think it's good practice to use them. They're not always essential and I don't always use one (especially when I'm roving rivers for chub etc) but I think they're generally a good thing.

If I don't have a unhooking mat with me then I use my..................... weigh-sling :lol:

Richard Walker used to kill some of his fish and have they cased. Doesn't mean we should too. I'm a massive fan of Passion for Angling but it was made 17 years ago now and attitudes have changed.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I have an unhooking mat, which I take to the water every time I fish! I use my landing net to unhook and return every fish except large Carp which I then use the mat for!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

A grassy area may seem fine for gently laying down a fish.

The problem is the odd dried stalk unseen in the grass could easily pierce the eye of a fish (pike have no eyelids to protect them).

Though the many one-eyed pike encountered on some waters probably has more to do with a parasite infection, than bad handling or the often-blamed 'flying' trebles or large lures.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I was looking through some old photos taken about twenty-five years ago and some of them made me cringe. I have used an unhooking mat for about the last twenty years, but there have been times when I have wondered if it might have been better to put the fish down on thick clumps of soft grass. If you are fishing anywhere where the bank is hard or where there is gravel, then it's pretty much essential and I know of several places where it isn't safe, for both angler and fish) to unhook them in the net at the water's edge.

Even so, I wish somebody would make one like a miniature kiddies' paddling pool, which could be moored floating at the water's edge, as I have fished at quite a few places where that would have been absolutely ideal.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Even so, I wish somebody would make one like a miniature kiddies' paddling pool, which could be moored floating at the water's edge, as I have fished at quite a few places where that would have been absolutely ideal.

Like this type of thing?

Edited by bingo

That's terrible; what do you sit on? :lol:

My arse! You should see the state of my waterproofs!

Might starting taking my mat with me now though.