No unhooking mat

dapper64

I bought an unhooking mat when I bought my new chair - I'm glad I did. The seat isn't adjustable and it makes a great cushion!

To be honest, I haven't really needed one up to now, as 99% of all the fish I catch are unhooked in the water or in the landing net. I try not to take the fish out of the water unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I don't weigh my fish at all any more. I did when I first started, then realised that it was a bit pointless, as I'm not in competition with anyone. I was glad that someone nearby had scales though, when I caught my first two big carp. I estimated the first one at about 5 or 6lbs. It turned out to be 11lb!

On the couple of occasions when an unhooking mat has been needed and before I bought one, I used my fishing towel folded double, with a piece of wet plastic sheeting over the top.

I thought it best to be on the safe side and buy a mat though, as my new water has some large fish, and knowing my luck, I'll catch one when I'm trying for my favourite perch!

Janet

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one isn't intended to be floated going by the description, but yes, something similar to that, only one which isn't such a ludicrous price.

Perhaps something like this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryrn_76817

:D

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I always carry one when roving or when I am likely to catch any largish fish, it fits nicely into my folded chair so doesnt take up any room when moving swims. however if I am Fishing a winter match on the canal where I have trouble catching small fish let alone large fish I just unhook them in the landing net (restng on the keepnet opening) and sometimes leave the unhooking mat at home.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I was once asked to leave a club water as I'd forgotten my unhooking mat. Fair's, fair you might say - rules is rules. Thing is I was wading mid stream - fish were being unhooked in mid-river and not getting anywhere near the bank. When I pointed this out I was told that IF I did want to land it on the bank I wouldn't be able to.... :wallbash:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Chris I sympathise with you Ive come across lots of plonkers who obviously dont understand the rules they are enforcing.

I dont always use an unhooking mat either,simply because you dont always need to.Before anyone takes me to task I would like to point out I had (and used one when required) long before they were commercially available.

Just a matter of using common sense really.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I was once asked to leave a club water as I'd forgotten my unhooking mat. Fair's, fair you might say - rules is rules. Thing is I was wading mid stream - fish were being unhooked in mid-river and not getting anywhere near the bank. When I pointed this out I was told that IF I did want to land it on the bank I wouldn't be able to.... :wallbash:

C.

Ah, beurocracy even on the riverbank. It's great to be British! :rolleyes:

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Chris, that's a classic! :lol:

Budgie's right, it's down to common sense. If I'm fishing a gravel pit or somewhere with rough ground and I'm targetting big fish of any species, I'll take and use a mat. If I'm roving about fishing for small-medium sized fish I often take one instead of a chair :) . I find that a wet landing net on soft grass is as good as a mat anyway, except perhaps for big fish.

I cringe when I look at old photos I took as a kid, of roach and perch tipped from a knotted old keepnet onto gravel. Times have changed, thankfully.

I unhook as many fish as possible in the water and generally only weigh and/or photograph anything really special.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Chris, that's a classic! :lol:

I couldn't agree more. :lol:

It's this stupid bureaucracy that really annoys me.

It takes me back to the earlier thread I posted about the young lad clambering up the bank to unhook 2lb chub on a mat. It's was what he'd been told to do. :blink:

If a water insists I have an unhooking mat, I won't normally fish it.

If a water insists on barbless hooks, I won't normally fish it.

I reserve the right to use my common sense in such matters.

It's all well and good bringing in measures to 'protect' fish, but most are 'over kill' and IMO are designed to show a more 'acceptable public image' than for the protection of the fish.

There are far more damaging things that some clubs/owners gladly accept.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's this stupid bureaucracy that really annoys me.......

If a water insists I have an unhooking mat, I won't normally fish it.

If a water insists on barbless hooks, I won't normally fish it.

I reserve the right to use my common sense in such matters.

I agree about the bureauracy.

At Wingham I insist on all members and guests bringing an unhooking mat, but state that even bubble wrap will do. This is because some swims are hard gravel.

However a member asked me the other day as he landed a perch if it was OK to lay the net on the soft grass rather than on his unhooking mat. I was happy for him to do so in this instance.

Knowing you, John, you'd use your common sense perfectly. But fishery owners can't be sure that everyone would. We therefore have to assume the worst. Experience has also shown me that the rules have to be in black and white, and that they must be the same for everyone.

This though doesn't preclude either myself or my (excellent) bailiffs using common sense and making exceptions on the day - as in the above example.

John, I'd love to meet you and hope that you'll come to a Wingham Fish-In. But you will have to bring an unhooking mat!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net