Good books to own

Darren T

Are there any books that you guys would strongly suggest owning? i know for my photography stuff for example that there are a coupe of books lost of people suggest buying as they are that good. Are there any for fishing that would be handy? i am also thinking about knots. are they best just learned from magazines or will a good book cover all that i need? hopefully a few cold nights in with a knot tyer and some old line can help me out!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking for a 'how to' type of book or some good 'literature'? If the latter, below are some of my favs...

For All Those Left Behind - John Andrews (reminds me of my late father)

Reflections From the Water's Edge - John Bailey (His best book IMO)

I Know a Good Place - Clive Gammon (also a fantastic travel book!)

The Lady of the Stream - Paul Morgan (an anthology about my favourite fish - the Grayling)

Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life - Jeremy Paxman (A fantastic anthology - if I was only allowed one book it would have to be this one!)

Rod and Line - Arthur Ransome (sublime)

Red Letter Days - Paul Rogers Ed.

An Angler for all Seasons - H T Sheringham (A superb anthology from the best angling writer of the 1st half of the 20th C)

Mr Crabtree goes Fishing - Bernard Venables (sentimental reasons - without this book I would not have been an angler)

The Deepening Pool - Chris Yates (my favourite CY)

The Secret Carp - Chris Yates (Writing that is just about as close to perfection as it is possible to get!)

Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders - John Gierach - If you never read any Gierach - start here!

The Float - Keith Harwood - The sort of Book Medlar do really well!

Somewhere Down The Crazy River - Boote and Wade

The New Complete Angler - Downes & Knowelden - Steve Burke put me on to this (thanks) Seriuosly under-rated work, scholarly yet readable - a must have for any angler.

The Longest Silence - Thomas McGuane

No Need to Lie - Dick Walker

Trout at 10000 Feet - John Bailey

Four Seasons - Chris Yates

Small Stream Fishing - David Carl Forbes

And 3 more recent works

Somewhere Else

The Accidental Angler - both by Charles Rangeley Wilson

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes - Jon Aston - only recently published - a modern classic IMO

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Are you looking for a 'how to' type of book or some good 'literature'? If the latter, below are some of my favs...

For All Those Left Behind - John Andrews (reminds me of my late father)

Reflections From the Water's Edge - John Bailey (His best book IMO)

I Know a Good Place - Clive Gammon (also a fantastic travel book!)

The Lady of the Stream - Paul Morgan (an anthology about my favourite fish - the Grayling)

Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life - Jeremy Paxman (A fantastic anthology - if I was only allowed one book it would have to be this one!)

Rod and Line - Arthur Ransome (sublime)

Red Letter Days - Paul Rogers Ed.

An Angler for all Seasons - H T Sheringham (A superb anthology from the best angling writer of the 1st half of the 20th C)

Mr Crabtree goes Fishing - Bernard Venables (sentimental reasons - without this book I would not have been an angler)

The Deepening Pool - Chris Yates (my favourite CY)

The Secret Carp - Chris Yates (Writing that is just about as close to perfection as it is possible to get!)

Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders - John Gierach - If you never read any Gierach - start here!

The Float - Keith Harwood - The sort of Book Medlar do really well!

Somewhere Down The Crazy River - Boote and Wade

The New Complete Angler - Downes & Knowelden - Steve Burke put me on to this (thanks) Seriuosly under-rated work, scholarly yet readable - a must have for any angler.

The Longest Silence - Thomas McGuane

No Need to Lie - Dick Walker

Trout at 10000 Feet - John Bailey

Four Seasons - Chris Yates

Small Stream Fishing - David Carl Forbes

And 3 more recent works

Somewhere Else

The Accidental Angler - both by Charles Rangeley Wilson

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes - Jon Aston - only recently published - a modern classic IMO

C.

Cheers Chris that has made my Christmas wish list much easier! Could you save me even more effort and email the list and suppliers to my family :P;)

Rich

ahh sorry i meant more 'how to' specific books. Coarse primarily. though i shall have a look at that list you have already provided Chris :)

Are there any books that you guys would strongly suggest owning? i know for my photography stuff for example that there are a coupe of books lost of people suggest buying as they are that good. Are there any for fishing that would be handy? i am also thinking about knots. are they best just learned from magazines or will a good book cover all that i need? hopefully a few cold nights in with a knot tyer and some old line can help me out!

Plenty of books have been suggested but as for knots, I like the animated instructions on this link.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing....imatedknots.com

Covers most needs.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

{snip}

Chris, any chance I can have first dibs on your book collection when you snuff it? If so, where do you park your car? I have a nice pair of brake-pipe cutters here.... ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Chris, any chance I can have first dibs on your book collection when you snuff it? If so, where do you park your car? I have a nice pair of brake-pipe cutters here.... ;)

:yeah: And they're just the tip of the iceberg! Must have close to 200 angling books now. :rolleyes:

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog