Cormorants (again)

Scott

Due to cleaning up and spending a grant my local council decided to empty the park lake, clean out the rubbish and tidy it up in general.

Because it holds a lot of fish the local club were offered them. They dont want fish in the pond when its all finished as there are loads of kids fishing there and people feeding numerous ducks etc.

The EA were contacted and test netted the pond,(this was in Aug last year) it revealed what most people already knew, there were 20 or so large Carp up to 20lb, some Tench around 3-4lb, large amounts of Roach, and 1000's of Carp between 2oz and 8oz.

The local kids had been fishing there all summer, I work in the only tackle shop in town so every kid is only to happy to tell me what hes caught, 20, 30 40, and on 1 occasion over 80 small carp in a session, and no-one blanked.

It seemed a real pity that the kids were going to loose out on this excellent free fishing and many adults that had given it a go.

So winter came and the dark nights stopped the kids fishing after school, a few cormorants were spotted on the water, one angler counted 10 in one day, and at least 3-4 were there every day.

On Tuesday this week the EA arrived with their gear, and with various members of the club started work.

The water was started draining on the monday, by the time the EA had finished (late Weds) the pond was completly drained, and every fish removed and taken to another water.

Total fish removed:

Carp 19 between 10 & 20lb

Tench 24 between 3 & 4lb

Roach 4 (yes four) at 2-3oz

Eels, 2 both around 4lb

The small Carp were never found.

This just shows how much damage those birds do.

Law or not, next one I see gets something (probably made of lead) sent in its direction.

Scott.

As the EA were involved last August and this week, they have first-hand proof of what a problem these cormorants cause. As darrell says, you would think they must do something ??

Terry

Terry

I can't think of any bird that has a diet consisting mainly of fish that would be fit to eat. Unless you happen to like bird with a strong 'fishy' taste.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

nigelnibbles:

one question springs to mind,, do cormorants make good eating??

Nope, they're cr@p .... hardly any meat on the b@astards despite all the fish they eat, and their flesh is horribly oily ....

...oooooops ... what a give-away :rolleyes:

Anyway, Nige, cormorants do eat fish then, even in your area! Now there's a thing!

Prob is, getting an EA/DEFRA licence to shoot the peckers on such waters :mad:

DG .. v UNC :mad: :mad: L when it comes to cormies

Most of the fish they eat, is eaten to maintain the worms in their stomach. That's why they have to eat so much. They make good lobster pot bait, lasting several days!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

the EA have all the evidence i have seen it. they conducted trials on large pools with some sancturies on one ,the small carp were completely removed in only 4 weeks ,whilst the sactuary lakes only had about 40% removed (still means all gone in 3 months).

however the EA cannot change the status of these birds .only govt with europe can do that ,now as bruno (and bruno has done more than anyone i know on this issue) has stated on numourous occassions we need all angling clubs to apply for licences to shoot them .even if turned down at least it is a application to add weight to the other ones .

so if you want to do somthing get hold of a licence for your club fill it in and send it in . cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god