Methods you loathed but became to enjoy

tincatinca

Although I have fished for more years than I care to remember, I always maintained until about 5 years ago that I would never use a pole to fish. What changed my mind was that I used to fish an old glacial mere that was mainly deep around the margins and also gin clear but which also held some excellent tench, bream, eels and a few carp. I had fished this mere which was a fairly hard water for a number of years on a syndicate before it was taken over by a club. In an attempt to make the fishing easier, several re-stockings took place which included numerous small rudd. Over the years, the anglers who fished the mere regularly found that small natural baits such as maggot or worm far outscored anything else but of course after the rudd were introduced they were like shoals of pirhana and were viertually impossible to get through. Over a period of time, a technique of bubble chasing was developed whereby you grounbaited a spot and only cast to the bubble patches created when a fish was grubbing. This proved to be very hit and miss due to the accuracy needed to present a bait. I was so anti pole that it took a while for the idea to form but to cut a long story short I bought a grim reaper pole and by ensuiring that I got the bait to the bottom quickly I started to get some success and get amongst the tincas. After a while of course (slow thinker) the thought of would this method work in other places started to cross my mind and lo and behold it did on several gravel pits where presentation was critical. This eventually inspired me to buy a better anmd lighter pole and since then I have used it on many occassions for general fishing as I have gotten to enjoy it. The question here is has anyone else had a similar situation where they were totally against a method but finished up enjoying it.

i tottally agree with you i was the same about poles when i was a kid a bloke i went fishing with and his son they were all in to there poles and matches and i just snubbed my nose at it saying thats not fishing, fishing is with a rod and line and so i carried on with rod and line all the way up to about 2 and a half years ago when i was livng in northern ireland in the winter obviously up to around october early november the bream on the feeder are second to none however come the winter its pretty imposible to either fish the river and the bream move on because the flow is just to fierce so they move to the loch and the canals however when fishing the canal it was hit or miss to get the bream but the roach fishing is brilliant 1st time i went i was catching nicely with waggler however my mate on the pole was truly bagging and not just the small roach you get in this country but nice roach most of tehm over 12oz up to 2lb so i swallowed my pride and went out and bought my first pole very cheap first time i went out witha bit of help from my mate cause learning the pole can be quite a task i had a brill day and caught close to 40lb of roach then when the next summer came found you could catch bream on the river on the pole line which was even better so sort of progressed from there, got into going to matches then fishing the odd comercial and now i love it however my feeder is still my comfy blanket.

sorry to bore with my long winded story

tight lines

I wouldn't say I REALLY enjoy as much as ordinary course fishing, but I have come to accept carp fishing, you know sitting behind a bank of buzzers with 3lb T.C. rods, just doing nothing but waiting for the alarm to scream... I always have a float or quiver rod out with maggots or worm or bread, to relieve the boredom more than anything else, but so many just sit there for days on end, what possble fun can you get from that! I saw a post on another forum today about river carping, with buzzers and carp rods!! What's wrong with a stepped up avon or a quiver...

For me its Paste,

I remember when i began fishing at 4 up until the age of 10 i fished a local pool a few miles away and allways used Meat and Paste and never bothered with anything else. I stopped fishing few years because we couldnt get a lift anymore.

Then my grandad and i joined a club which a friend from his old works fished for. I never did much good on carp waters as i was oblivious to the fat that paste was the in thing and i didnt bother changing ways theat did well most of my life Then wen i was 15 a new tackle shop opened in the street and i came across a tub of paste and decided that i might aswell give it a shot and havent looked back. Duriong the summer months nothing can beat it, but my trusty corn still works its magic in thecolder months.

84854438.png

Night fishing! I don't just mean fishing after dark as I've always done that, but fishing all night long.

Although I used to bivvy up I'd bring my rods in at about 11pm and then set the alarm for first light. I always used to say that I didn't want to be woken up at 2am - whatever the size of the fish.

What changed me was the monster Wingham bream. Like other similar waters such as Queenford my bream are almost entirely nocturnal. So to have any chance of a record I've had to fish overnight.

Not only was it not as tiring as I thought it would be, it actually turned out to be more relaxing. I still settle down to sleep soon after dark, but most days get a lie-in as the Wingham tench are often not active until well after first light.

It means I can't use worms or maggots though - the perch most certainly are active at dawn!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Mine would be Distance Waggler Fishing.

Something that I had tried and got so wrong, and so the rods went to the Cellar for a year or two!

Went on a course last summer, then went fishing with someone "in the know" and now the match rod is one of the 1st out the bag! Even if the feeder proves more successful on a certain water, I still like to tackle it with the match rod, (when pleasure fishing) distances upto 50 meters can be challenging, but when it works, then its good fun.

A method of fishing that is loathed, is mainly because we don´t know and understand how it is done properly. We try it once or twice, balls it up, and tend to slag the method off.

Understand how it really works and its Happy days!

Mine would be Distance Waggler Fishing.

Something that I had tried and got so wrong, and so the rods went to the Cellar for a year or two!

Went on a course last summer, then went fishing with someone "in the know" and now the match rod is one of the 1st out the bag! Even if the feeder proves more successful on a certain water, I still like to tackle it with the match rod, (when pleasure fishing) distances upto 50 meters can be challenging, but when it works, then its good fun.

A method of fishing that is loathed, is mainly because we don´t know and understand how it is done properly. We try it once or twice, balls it up, and tend to slag the method off.

Understand how it really works and its Happy days!

Yes I fish an estate lake that has some nice Rudd in it; and I love the days when you can cast to the surface feeding shoals of big rudd right out in the middle of the lake and gradually try to get them feedng closer by slowly introducing the feed a bit closer each time.

Sometimes you can't get them to move closer but it doesn't matter as you can just chase the shoal wherever it goes. I use a 4BB or 5BB onion waggler float and cast over the shoal and slowly wind the float back into the shoal.

A few years ago before the 'Carp Poles' became available on the market; I always thought the Pole was for small fish only and that a decent fish would wrap a light pole around your neck; and when I reluctantly bought one I was surprised how easily I could handle 3lb to 4lb Tench when using a light pole by fighting it below the pole tip while it was out in clear water; instead of trying to fight it on a waggler which kited everywhere through weed as I got it in (or didn't).

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)