American elections

The Flying Tench

It does indeed highlight much incompetence, which runs throughout anything the govt gets involved in. But that is not the reason TSR-2 was scrapped. TSR-2 was scrapped by a weak government/PM tugging his forelock to America.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does indeed highlight much incompetence, which runs throughout anything the govt gets involved in. But that is not the reason TSR-2 was scrapped. TSR-2 was scrapped by a weak government/PM tugging his forelock to America.

Read the history, http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/history.php. The TSR2 was scrapped mostly because of incompetence and pressure from the other side of the atlantic to buy American.

Thats what I said!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Corydoras - as far as us getting upset over talk about silly notions held by some US residents, I can remember when the State legislature of Arkansas had a bill introduced to change the value of Pi to 3.0 as the existing value was so hard to use in calculations. Luckily it did not pass.

After that one, I quit worrying about it.

However, since the Flat Earth Society was founded in England as was the Luddite movment, we do not have any sort of monopoly.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry if I offended you Jan, but I can usually back up the cr@p I spout.

Cory, not to worry. I wasn't upset. I just don't debate politics. Hard and fast rule of mine. Besides, I live with Newt. Isn't that offence enough? :P (or is it penance for something done in a previous life?)

Guest Brumagem Phil
Cory, not to worry. I wasn't upset. I just don't debate politics. Hard and fast rule of mine. Besides, I live with Newt. Isn't that offence enough? :P (or is it penance for something done in a previous life?)

the worst thing about US politics is the UK seems to get whatever they do next, only worse.

As a stock market investor, US politics irritate me more than most...........for example the US toxic debt issue; yet goldman sachs whilst slinging so much dirt at UK banks as it sees fit can on the other hand chuck 15bh dollars at northern rock as a recovery package.

Take a look too at the mess citigroup has got itself into yet it can issue a sell note on RBS (royal bank of scotland) and find that a UK bank with limited exposure to US toxic debt gets whacked harder than citigroup which itself has written down billions so far alone in toxic debt.

Naked short selling is regulated in the US but it doesn't stop the US hedge funds from shorting UK stocks just to prop up their own dubious trades. Our own government is too gutless to regulate such practices so what in effect happens is UKPLC pays the price for what corporate america does wrong. You think i'm wrong? OK, so plot a chart of the UK's biggest oil company BP v that of exxon, the US biggest oil company. Tell me how there can be such a discrepancy given the oil price has averaged over $80 for well over a year now.

RBS (a stock i have bought recently) has a market cap of around 40bl with a forecast profit of 10bl and a yield of close on 8% (yep, wouldnt you just love that on your savings eh????)........yet the US capital banks with all their toxic debt think the UK banks are a sell.

Well, YOU go work it out....I'll make a killing when RBS makes 500p.............and an even biggerkilling when BP hits 700p

nite nite.

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Corydoras - as far as us getting upset over talk about silly notions held by some US residents, I can remember when the State legislature of Arkansas had a bill introduced to change the value of Pi to 3.0 as the existing value was so hard to use in calculations. Luckily it did not pass.

After that one, I quit worrying about it.

However, since the Flat Earth Society was founded in England as was the Luddite movment, we do not have any sort of monopoly.

You certainly don't hold a monopoly Newt. Portsmouth in Hampshire the city where I work has this bunch of weirdos http://www.csm.org.uk/expo.php.

But hey Newt, don't go lumping me in with the English too much, I'm a Scot we had the Enlightenment not Luddites.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

As a stock market investor,

Well, YOU go work it out....I'll make a killing when RBS makes 500p.............and an even biggerkilling when BP hits 700p

Interesting to hear you are into this game. I was at one time. Spent ages researching it all. Had a big success once when I invested all my money (which wasn't a huge amount, admittedly) in one stock (Burton warrants) which multiplied by 100! Then I invested it in similarly dicey stocks, and lost the lot!

Nowadays I prefer fishing, but it still interests me to hear comments like yours. I wish you every success!

john clarke

You certainly don't hold a monopoly Newt. Portsmouth in Hampshire the city where I work has this bunch of weirdos http://www.csm.org.uk/expo.php.

I'm amazed. I never knew there was a creationist set-up like that so near me. Who on earth goes there? I generally try to be mildly supportive of creationists in UK cos they strike me as a bit of an oppressed minority. I don't share their views (I'm a bible basher of a slightly different ilk), but I think they are entitled to their opinions and some of those who criticize them strike me as much more intolerant than the creationists - I'm not referring to anyone on AN!

But those kind of museums usually get a lot of business from school groups etc, who I can't believe would go to this one. So I'm a bit bemused how it all works (pays for itself etc).

john clarke

I'm amazed. I never knew there was a creationist set-up like that so near me. Who on earth goes there? I generally try to be mildly supportive of creationists in UK cos they strike me as a bit of an oppressed minority. I don't share their views (I'm a bible basher of a slightly different ilk), but I think they are entitled to their opinions and some of those who criticize them strike me as much more intolerant than the creationists - I'm not referring to anyone on AN!

But those kind of museums usually get a lot of business from school groups etc, who I can't believe would go to this one. So I'm a bit bemused how it all works (pays for itself etc).

More about it here. How can one be 'mildly supportive' of an outfit that aims to 'educate' children that the earth is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs and early man were contemporaries?