oh eck, i've gone and got a pole

scunnydelight

Hi

I've finally gone and got a pole after many many many years of fishing with rod and reel, and me saying I would never get a pole. It's only a cheap one to see how I get on, its a Keenets Carp Cadet 8m pole with elastic rating up to 20? It all looks a bit daunting, what with brushes, connectors, elastic ratings etc ect phew.

I've looked all over the net for info on how to use one, and it alls seeems to be in bits and pieces. I mean, what extra bits of tackle should I always have on me, should I have differant elastics, or can I fish both waters with the same one. Does anyone know of a good site where all the questions and answers are all in 1 place without trawling through pages on the internet. I normally fish the drains at Keadby, or a commercial water with silver fish and carp up to 20lb.

Any info appreciatted, or if anyone lives locally to Scunthorpe and wants to coach me for a day that would be helpful.

Thank you all.

:huh:

who cares what size it is, as long as it's a fish.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you will need with your pole is a pole roller which is placed behind your pole at a distance which keeps your pole balanced when shipping it in and out. The other thing you will need is a tulip rest or pole sock which holds your larger sections of pole while you bait up your top 2/3 sections.

I am sure someone will post what all the different elastics are etc. It may be better at this stage to buy ready made pole rigs - ask your tackle shop to supply you with the right ones you need for each venue.

Oh, and congratulations with your pole, when you get used to it, you will fish areas you never thought possible!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Congratulations on the purchase!

I started fishing with a pole a few years back after relocating to the North of England and taking up corse fishing as opposed to game fishing.

I started off with a Ron Thompson Zensorflex 8m which was okish but very heavy. It did the trick though and I decided to upgrade.

Next I got a Shakespeare Xcede 11m which I thought was excellent although a little heavy over 9m. Unfortunatley this pole was snapped twice, once by myself and once by my daughter! The second snap was caused by me when I caught my first double carp - in all the excitement I stood back and snapped my number 4 section :(

I have now upgraded to a Garbolini Mystery Carp 11.5m which is still (I think) quite a basic pole. I love this pole and have had lots of double figure carp!

Anyway enough about me and my pole (s) :P

I suggest you read AN and look for old threads - the newish feature on here for related links is good. Otherwise look on the net and see what you van find. I always find that watching others use a pole is usefull but in the end you will find your own way.

There are hundreds of extras you can buy but after a while you need to ask yourself if it is really worth it. Your pole might be a little heavy but dont let that put you off. As soon as you catch the bug so to speak you will be hooked. Pole vary in price as I am sure you are aware and can go to crazy prices into the thousands :o

I have put a rough elastic guide below

Type of fish Strength of elastic

Bleak

Gudgeon

Roach (small)

Perch (small) 1, 2, 3

Skimmers

Roach

Perch

Chub (small) 3, 4, 5

Tench

Bream

Chub

Eels 6, 7, 8

Carp

Barbel

Tench (large) 10+

I also found this page a great help when I started

http://www.coarsefish.net/pole.htm

All the best mate!

what extra bits of tackle should I always have on me,

Hernia truss, tennis elbow supports, and a junior hacksaw to break it all down into manageable pieces when you're fed up with it. :D

It may be better at this stage to buy ready made pole rigs - ask your tackle shop to supply you with the right ones you need for each venue.

Would you say? He says that he's already an experienced angler, surely he'll be able to make up his own rigs? The principles are just the same as a float on a running line, after all.

Would you say? He says that he's already an experienced angler, surely he'll be able to make up his own rigs? The principles are just the same as a float on a running line, after all.

Your right, I already make my own pike rigs, sea rigs, carp rigs, so I reckon I will end up making my own rigs, mind you, at £2.50 each on local shop, or cheaper on ebay is it worth it :D

Used the pole yesterday and I outfished my mate who had rod and reel, the pole was a bit heavy and I kept getting the float tangled at the end as the pole was bouncing around so much, so thats something I need to sort out. I can see the benefits of using the pole in a match as the bites were more defined. I shall carry on using it, and hopefully improving. I always take all my other rods when I go fishing anyway so i've always got something to fall back on.

thanks for all info.

who cares what size it is, as long as it's a fish.

The best help for you is to get a book called fox's guide to commercial fisherys. its a life saver. £11.99 but you have load of tips on pole fishing aswell as anything else.

so look on the net for it or in a local tackle shop. but trust me its well worth it

Sorry to take so long to come back! Steve - someone can be very experienced, but pole rigs are so different and varied from float fishing that he will be learning the various places that they shot the rigs and why!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I would just like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post on the forum.

Yesterday was also my first time out with a pole and I found it quite clumbsy and heavy even with the last 2 sections not used, I guess most people experience the same especially if they start off with a cheapish pole like me.

I got 2 fish but lost them while retrieving the pole, after an hour I went back to my comfort zone and picked up the trusty rod and reel.

My pole is an 11m Leeda Assasin 2xL

My lad who is 10 uses a 5m telescopic whip and has some great results on the local lakes

Gaz

Yesterday was also my first time out with a pole and I found it quite clumbsy and heavy even with the last 2 sections not used

It can take some time to get used to a pole for the first time but its well worth it when you get used to it.

Advanced Pole Fishing magazine helped me when I first started using my pole (depite its name) it had some good tips and rig ideas.

When I first started I used to fish the pole with it between my legs and sitting on the butt which offered me easier control when fishing at long lengths, as I progressed I started to fish it across my lap which I found hard to control at first but when you get used to it, its a much smoother way of doing it.

Get a pole sock over a tulip grip because they offer more of a target area to aim for when you've just landed a fish. Pole rollers are essential, at 8m you'll only need one but as you get a longer pole its better to use 2 for the extra support. Feeding pots are useful, either home made from kinder egg pots or shop bought(I use fox toss pots) they make pin point feeding easy and if your only a beginner on the pole you may find using a catapult whilst holding your pole difficult.

The main thing is to persevere with it because once you've got it mastered it will seriously improve your fishing, especially on commercials.