Catching a ruffe !

Mat Hillman

Now I know this will sound silly to some people, but I've never caught a ruffe, but have been told that there are a few in the Chelmer and Blackwater canal.

So. always being one to try something new, and the fact that I have to walk about half a mile along the canal to reach my favourite chub swim, I thought I'd have a go at catching one!

What sort of swim would I look to catch one in?

My first thought is to find a "perchy" looking swim and try some maggots or a small worm there, but always open to advice!

Mat

Mat

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will certainly be tried at some point, I had the same stretch of canal in mind for some winter piking as there are a couple of nice looking pedunkle ambush points long there where the Chelmer and the canal meet and seperate.

I'm just waiting for the first frosts to kill of some of the weed!

Mat

Mat

I caught my first one this year at a local pond, then I had a second one last month. One on maggott and one on worm.

I wasn't fishing for them as I did not know there was any in there. I was well pleased with the little chappies though :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

My son caught a whopper on our local canal, but not knowing what it was and thinking it to be a deformed perch hybrid returned it without a thought.

He caught it on the near shelf using maggot fished on the drop with an insert waggler.

I have spent hours fishing the same swim just hoping that it may still be there... no luck yet.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Personally I would try Loch Lomond if I wanted a Ruffe (not that I would). Apparently it's the commonest fish in the big water, even though I've never seen or caught one, no one I know has seen or caught one and no Piker (the chaps apparently responsible for putting them there) I've seen has them for baits either.

I reckon Lomond has more Burbot in it. Let's put it that way.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...