Catching a ruffe !

Mat Hillman

I have seen them caught on the near shelf of the lea navigation, i have to say that i have never caught one, they fall to the same baits as small perch ie maggots and worms. when i tried to catch one all i got was gudgeon and perch

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off for a short chubbing session this afternoon on Ricketts backwater, all the gears ready, just waiting for the wife to bring the car home

The reference to the ruffe was in a recent issue of Improve your coarse fishing where they featured the Canal near the Tesco's in Maldon.

Mat

Mat

Just got home, Chelmer is well up, and very coloured, the canal section had actually flooded over the top of Ricketts lock.

I managed one small chub from the only slack I could find that my feeder would hold bottom in, maybe I need some bigger feeders :)

Mat

Mat

You can catch a bit of rough down portman road in Ipswich most days of the week. :D Trouble is you will probably catch something else as well!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• 4 years later...

try a small red worm near a lock or bridge on the grand union canal they seem to be quite eager to feed on them in these places! ruffe do get a bad press but at least they cannot ignore a juicy baby signal cray fish baby! they love em! they make great aquatic pets too! :rolleyes: