Groundbaiting for pike.

wellyphant

I've been toying with the idea of groundbaiting for pike recently and was wondering if anyone has done the same.

I've been thinking about this since I was bought a Nutribullet for Christmas which is basically a blender that turns anything solid into a liquid.

The groundbait I have in mind is something like a simple breadcrumb, with a few pellets mixed in and soaked with liquidised raw sardines.

In my mind this would do two things, firstly, the smell may attract Pike and secondly it would attract bait fish which in turn may attract Pike

I can't see how it wouldn't work.

Piking folk, what do you reckon?

Years ago in Scotland I used to deadbait with chopped up sardine in a large cage feeder

Hard to know how well it worked because I don't know what I might have caught without it and on a couple of occasions I am pretty sure the pike took the feeder instead of the bait, but it didn't seem to do much harm.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Welly,

I'm no pike fisher so my advice is worth what you are paying for it - nothing.

My logic tells me you would want to bait up to attract PREY fish. That's what the ice fishermen do.

Phone

Back in the 80's/90's a friend and I used to fish deadbaits and livebaits for Pike using a small sponge filled feeder loaded with fish oils to add to the attraction. We also used to syringe some of the oil inside our deadbaits.

We used to catch quite a few Pike using it.

The oils we used had emulsifiers in them to try to help them spread in water and not just float up to the surface.

I haven't tried it in recent years as I rarely fish for Pike these days.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I'm with Phone on this one, groundbait for the prey fish

What I really do think helps, and it doesn't fill a pike's stomach, is the use of fish oils. Whether lure or static I use an oblong of foam rubber soaked in fish oil on the trace.

I tried it but it cost me a fortune in lures.

• Like 2

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.