Healthy Rivers

Jeffwill

A degree of sanity has returned to this thread. Instead of arguing over the rights and wrongs we have weighed it all up and appreciate everyone has his own opinion. Well done to all contributors.

Can I just say one thing though, as it was I who started this thread in March 2008 (incidentally before you joined Nick) and updated this year to report the effects of otters moving in on a couple of river stretch's that I have personally witnessed with my own eyes.

Over the last 9 years or so I have watched fishing improve year on year culminating in having really good sport. (I travel 60 miles each way to the Wye and work full time so fishing trips are a hi-light for me, before anyone says I am guilty of the heinous cime of selfishness!)

But.... last winter I noticed the presence of otters. Not a problem to start with and I enjoyed seeing them, just as I have enjoyed seeing them on various venues over many years. A fishing buddy even commentated a few years back on seeing an otter "oh, thats all we need". Personally I thought it was a great sight and he was "out of order". Indeed, commando style I inched myself to the edge of the river bank to watch the otter "work" its way up the river.

Back to my thread, the otter sightings became more and more regular and the fish less and less. Winter this year, the shoal of chub have "vanished" but the otters are still there, fresh tracks etc.

Its demoralising to see it happen. As I said I used to like otters. Until recent events I held the opinion that Otters are a "valued part of the natural balance" just like other anglers but my opinion has now changed from recent experience.

Edited by Jeffwill

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A degree of sanity has returned to this thread. Instead of arguing over the rights and wrongs we have weighed it all up and appreciate everyone has his own opinion. Well done to all contributors.

Can I just say one thing though, as it was I who started this thread in March 2008 (incidentally before you joined Nick) and updated this year to report the effects of otters moving in on a couple of river stretch's that I have personally witnessed with my own eyes.

Over the last 9 years or so I have watched fishing improve year on year culminating in having really good sport. (I travel 60 miles each way to the Wye and work full time so fishing trips are a hi-light for me, before anyone says I am guilty of the heinous cime of selfishness!)

But.... last winter I noticed the presence of otters. Not a problem to start with and I enjoyed seeing them, just as I have enjoyed seeing them on various venues over many years. A fishing buddy even commentated a few years back on seeing an otter "oh, thats all we need". Personally I thought it was a great sight and he was "out of order". Indeed, commando style I inched myself to the edge of the river bank to watch the otter "work" its way up the river.

Back to my thread, the otter sightings became more and more regular and the fish less and less. Winter this year, the shoal of chub have "vanished" but the otters are still there, fresh tracks etc.

Its demoralising to see it happen. As I said I used to like otters. Until recent events I held the opinion that Otters are a "valued part of the natural balance" just like other anglers but my opinion has now changed from recent experience.

I understand your concerns if you've been observing a known population of fish decline and an apparent increase in otters but I thought I had better drop this on you :)

"The Wye holds the densest and most well-established otter Lutra lutra population in Wales, representative of otters occurring in lowland freshwater habitats in the borders of Wales. The river has bank-side vegetation cover, abundant food supply, clean water and undisturbed areas of dense scrub suitable for breeding, making it particularly favourable as otter habitat. The population remained even during the lowest point of the UK decline, confirming that the site is particularly favourable for this species and the population likely to be highly stable." taken from http://www.jncc.gov.uk/ProtectedSites/SACs...reIntCode=S1355

Oddly though, my experiences over the past few years have been the opposite with an (seasonal) increase in numbers and size of fish. Perhaps all your fish have been swimming down to my stretch 'cos they like my bait more than yours :P I usually fish stretches well below Hereford and frequently below Ross. Anywhere near your stretches?

Over the last three years autumn fishing has been unusually impressive for me on the Wye, Teme and Lugg but winter fishing has been very quiet with the only consistently productive river being the Lugg for Grayling.

Something fishy going on?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I understand your concerns if you've been observing a known population of fish decline and an apparent increase in otters but I thought I had better drop this on you :)

"The Wye holds the densest and most well-established otter Lutra lutra population in Wales, representative of otters occurring in lowland freshwater habitats in the borders of Wales. The river has bank-side vegetation cover, abundant food supply, clean water and undisturbed areas of dense scrub suitable for breeding, making it particularly favourable as otter habitat. The population remained even during the lowest point of the UK decline, confirming that the site is particularly favourable for this species and the population likely to be highly stable." taken from http://www.jncc.gov.uk/ProtectedSites/SACs...reIntCode=S1355

Oddly though, my experiences over the past few years have been the opposite with an (seasonal) increase in numbers and size of fish. Perhaps all your fish have been swimming down to my stretch 'cos they like my bait more than yours :P I usually fish stretches well below Hereford and frequently below Ross. Anywhere near your stretches?

Over the last three years autumn fishing has been unusually impressive for me on the Wye, Teme and Lugg but winter fishing has been very quiet with the only consistently productive river being the Lugg for Grayling.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Fishing a lot further up than you Nick. If Otters cover 20 miles/kms or whatever, your safe!

I would tell you the stretches but the place will be swamped with people wanting to see the Otters!

I did fish around Ross area last year a few times in the autumn for the barbel and had a few but dont know the area well.

Regarding Grayling, they have excellent all round peripheral vision which helps them evade predators, plus they are fast in the river current when they need to be. Next time you catch one have a look at the eyes, almond shape giving "enhanced rear view".

good luck sniffing otter poo :lol:

Spraints, not poo! :P

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Fishing a lot further up than you Nick. If Otters cover 20 miles/kms or whatever, your safe!

I would tell you the stretches but the place will be swamped with people wanting to see the Otters!

I did fish around Ross area last year a few times in the autumn for the barbel and had a few but dont know the area well.

Regarding Grayling, they have excellent all round peripheral vision which helps them evade predators, plus they are fast in the river current when they need to be. Next time you catch one have a look at the eyes, almond shape giving "enhanced rear view".

Never fear mate, the otters get down past Ross as well!

I fish the upper Wye (Builth etc) for trout etc but not for the coarse fish.

I sometimes think that there must be an illegal stimulants 'factory' upstream of my grayling stretches. I've caught grayling in lots of rivers but the Lugg fish, well if the Teme barbel are 'Teme Tigers' then these grayling must be 'Lugg Cheetahs' B)

Tight lines!

Kill the otters says the farmer they are ruining my cattle drink by daming up the stream below it!

I think you're getting your otters mixed up with your beavers there Budgie. :lol: Actually, there has been some talk about reintroducing them too!

I think you're getting your otters mixed up with your beavers there Budgie. :lol: Actually, there has been some talk about reintroducing them too!

Ooops! Your right I had been reading about the Beaver re introductions as well!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ooops! Your right I had been reading about the Beaver re introductions as well!

Coincidentally they have pleasantly smelly poo/scats/pellets as well as otters. From the secretion castoreum that ends up in/on the scats :P