And another...

Westie

Lurking in the shadows but thought it was about time to become a fully fledged member.

Been a fishing nut since I was about 10 years old. I've drowned maggots, chucked fluff but I enjoyed sea fishing the most. Which is odd, because when I was a nipper, I used to catch naff all. :(

I moved to the Ipswich area just before Christmas and having not cast 5oz in anger for the best part of 20 years, I've got myself set up and I've been out a few times, caught a few and I've really got the bug again. Only shame is that work gets in the way. Another slight hold-up to my treks to the beach is the fact that my wife is expecting our first in 6 weeks time. I can see the wee girl, all papoosed up, on a nice overnighter on Orford Ness. My wife doesn't quite see it that way though...

Enough of my rambling. I know I'll end up asking questions, because I've got a huge amount to learn. Apologies in advance if I ask anything stupid.

Looking forward to getting to know you all in the forums too.

And so my first dafty. I'm making my own rigs up and wondered if anyone has come to a conclusion about snood material/colour of line etc etc. I've heard that flurocarbon is the mutts nuts.

I've tended to catch schoolie bass (every one returned) and I'm trying to improve on the pound mark. Am I kidding myself that flurocarbon would make any difference to the plain old clear mono that I'm using at the moment?

Also, I want to do some flattie bashing - can anyone suggest what type of rig to use and give me an idea on snood lengths/hook sizes (most of the websites I've been to don't say about this).

Any wisdom greatly received!

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

wotcha westie,

welcome aboard

flatties love every rig as long as it has a worm on it, trouble is so do every other fish/crab/eel even dog whelk

must go now ................ badgers, you know......................ziggy

Welcome Westie, even if you are only a sea angler!

OK, tin hat and flak jacket on, running for the bunker.

PS

Its hard to run with with your tongue stuck firmly in your cheek :D

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

Welcome Westie, FOr flatties you want 2 or 3 hook flappers with long snoods so the baits are right on the bottom, Beads, sequins and sometimes spinner blades just above tjhe hook are good attractors, Small hooks from size 1ns too 4rs,Rag or lug are good baits, But as is small strips of makarell,

Tight Lines

Shaun

Welcome Westie.

Alan - good booze? :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Welcome Westie.

Alan - good booze? :D

Hi Westie,Welcome to AN,.we had our first meeting tonight at the new venue...where were you ???? hic !!!

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Welcome Westie. Flourocarbon might make a difference for very shy river trout but in the sea with no viz. and hard currents? I've caught bass that should have known better on 80lb mono traces and wire. I don't think they were too bothered about what was attatched to the bait! I have a personal hatred of flourocarbon (I used to use it for fly tippets) as it tends to break on good fish where you have used an incorrect knot, or a correct knot incorrectly. Mono is much more forgiving. FWIW. Good luck with the bass anyhow!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

would have to agree with Salar and would add that even though flouro does have the same refractive index as water and is in effect invisible when viewed from below or above it still casts a shadow on the sea/river bed in shallow water, its is also quite brittle and doesn't knot well.

When the fish are really having it you will catch them on a piece of washing line and its more to do with the business end(your hook and bait/lure)that really matters and even more so in the sea with wave action.

Had afew my6self but only half way there by Alan's standards :D:D:D

Sorry meant to add welcome to the madhouse :rolleyes::rolleyes:

[ 11. August 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: chappers ]