No Sea Angling Licence

Elton

When it comes to bigotry you are top of the class Ha.

You should spend more time on a commercial fishing site try "Trawler Photos" keep up to date on the Bloggs you might learn some thing.

You've never asked constructive questions on conservation to a commercial on here all we hear from you is eradicate them all as quick as possible.

The credibility of what anglers have to say about commercial fishing is usually what is questionable and the reason why commercials post on here.

You are right the inevitable mire of more restrictions will make it difficult to keep our heads above water and the same will probably apply to charter skippers, bait collectors and even the tackle trade perhaps.

As for the angling responses to the " would you support bag limits" all responses by anglers revolved around only if commercial effort was cut, as Challenge correctly points out commercial effort has been greatly reduced.

So now I'm asking a question.

As the restrictions and quotas have now reached a level where even a small 7 or 8 meter single handed boat is having difficulty to stay with in the law and keep his head above water, how much more capping of effort do you want from DEFRA before you will except bag limits?

I don't expect Ha to answer as he has never answered a direct question of mine yet.

Hi Peter

Have you any more web sites like Trawler Photos.

Regards steve

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know or don't want to know?????

You waste my time with your refusal to acknowledge anything which your industry's destructive and unsustainable methods and insatiable greed have on global fish stocks and those who would choose to catch them. I guess we could call it a kind of commercial fishermans' hari-kari pact.

Let me tell you of a decimated stock not far from you ... they're called herrings, remember?

The greed of those in the East Coast unsustainable fishery not only wiped them out, but did a reasonable job on the thousands of workers made up of those involved with processing and thousands of ancillary workers and their families too.

I suppose I will be subjected to your wimpering about 'It wasn't me; I wasn't there?' or 'no, the N Sea herring fishery was the victim of some mid-60s/70s climate change' or a catastrophic epidemic or there wasn't enough plankton or ..... or .....

ah, give it a rest Wurzel!

:angry:

Not likely Ha as you once said I don't give in easily wouldn't have made a living if I did.

Not much wrong with the herring stocks at the moment recently it was said they were as good as ever although they say 04 and 05 were poor recruitment years, funny how cod had good recruitment for those years, ever wondered or cared if there is a link or is it coincidence?

The only reason there is very little drift net fishing done locally is the price they fetch which is the same or less than it was 40 years ago.

What ever! As herring are in quite good shape at the moment and not decimated it's not reverent to our discussion although it would be interesting if you could explain how banning gill nets out to 3 miles would have helped save or rebuild herring stocks, then try another stock.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hi Peter

Have you any more web sites like Trawler Photos.

Regards steve

No Steve, thats the only one I know of it hasn't been going long, it's starting to get better.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Not likely Ha as you once said I don't give in easily wouldn't have made a living if I did.

Not much wrong with the herring stocks at the moment recently it was said they were as good as ever although they say 04 and 05 were poor recruitment years, funny how cod had good recruitment for those years, ever wondered or cared if there is a link or is it coincidence?

The only reason there is very little drift net fishing done locally is the price they fetch which is the same or less than it was 40 years ago.

What ever! As herring are in quite good shape at the moment and not decimated it's not reverent to our discussion although it would be interesting if you could explain how banning gill nets out to 3 miles would have helped save or rebuild herring stocks, then try another stock.

Hi Peter

Why do you bother with H.A.

As far as he is concerned commercials are to blame for everything and the manages DEFRA and the EU and CFP are not, and he hates us being on here.

The fact is anglers and commercials are stakeholders in our fisheries and we are all facing many problems looming on the horizen.

H.A's dogmatic and bias veiw only discredits anglers in general and poeple like DEFRA only listen to a well balenced and logical reasoned veiws

Since I have been on here I have learnt all about the anglers veiws and perceptions of commercials and the problems that face them, problem is anglers are not interested in commercials and by and large blame them for everything

Its a shame and a waste of time needless to say the greens have and will continue with there agenda that will affect anglers and commercials and are cashing in on the indifference between us,

Lets hope that the Lisbon Treaty is ratifeid soon thus taking away DEFRA's power at least we will have some sought of come back from their ill-intended policies

I would have invited H.A out fishing as he lives local to me if he was more reasonable and open minded, lol lol I dont think I could handle all that ear ache lol

regards steve

Edited by steve good

As herring are in quite good shape at the moment and not decimated it's not reverent to our discussion
- Wurzel

Try telling that one to the descendants of the hundreds of displaced families who used to work within the industry!

Wouldn't matter what example was used regarding low stock levels; wouldn't matter what evidence we had to hand ..... 'commercials' are in perpetual 'denial'! But then denial and diversion are a defense which distorts reality; it keeps folks from feeling the pain and uncomfortable truth about things they do not want to face.

I would have invited H.A out fishing as he lives local to me if he was more reasonable and open minded, lol lol I dont think I could handle all that ear ache lol
- Steveg

Heh, heh .... you couldn't afford my wages!

:P

- Wurzel

Try telling that one to the descendants of the hundreds of displaced families who used to work within the industry!

Wouldn't matter what example was used regarding low stock levels; wouldn't matter what evidence we had to hand ..... 'commercials' are in perpetual 'denial'! But then denial and diversion are a defense which distorts reality; it keeps folks from feeling the pain and uncomfortable truth about things they do not want to face.

- Steveg

Heh, heh .... you couldn't afford my wages!

:P

You seem to be confusing fish stock health and jobs HA.

"Denial and diversion" ? Given that you never answer a question and always go straight for the hate stuff then perhaps you need to look at your "reality" ?

Still waiting for your account of what happened to the east coast herring ;)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Still waiting for your account of what happened to the east coast herring

If you don't know, then you really are on the wrong forum.

Still, just for you -

N Sea Herring Fishery

Annual landings from 1947 through to the early 1960s were high but stable, averaging around 650,000 tonnes . Over the same timeframe, the high fishing mortality resulted in a rapid decline in the spawning stock biomass (SSB) from around 5m tonnes to 1.5m tonnes . Recruitment over this period was reasonable, but there were fewer and fewer year classes present in the adult stock - a clear indication that the stocks were being over fished.

This period witnessed the complete collapse of the old East Anglian autumn drift net fishery, which was based entirely on the Downs stock moving south to the Southern Bight and eastern English Channel to spawn.

The reasons for that failure have been attributed both to high mortality of the juveniles in the North Sea industrial fisheries, and to heavy fishing by bottom trawlers on the spawning concentrations in the English Channel during the 1950s. Bottom trawling on the spawning grounds not only disturbs spawning fish but also destroys the spawn and damages the substrate on which successful spawning depends.

Fishing mortality on the herring in the central and northern North Sea began to increase rapidly in the late 1960s. Landings peaked at over one million tonnes in 1965, around 80% of which were juvenile fish. This was followed by a very rapid decline in the SSB and the total landings.

By 1975 the SSB had fallen to 83,500 tonnes, although landings were still over 300,000 tonnes.

At the same time, spawning in the central North Sea contracted to the east coast of England, while spawning grounds around the edge of the Dogger Bank were no longer used. This serious collapse of the North Sea autumn spawning herring stock led to a moratorium on directed herring fishing in the North Sea from 1977 to 1980. Until that time there had been no control, other than market forces, on the catches of North Sea herring.

Sources – CEFAS 2008 and an article first published in ‘Fishing News’, 12 February 1999

Hope that helps!

<_<

If you don't know, then you really are on the wrong forum.

Still, just for you -

N Sea Herring Fishery

Annual landings from 1947 through to the early 1960s were high but stable, averaging around 650,000 tonnes . Over the same timeframe, the high fishing mortality resulted in a rapid decline in the spawning stock biomass (SSB) from around 5m tonnes to 1.5m tonnes . Recruitment over this period was reasonable, but there were fewer and fewer year classes present in the adult stock - a clear indication that the stocks were being over fished.

This period witnessed the complete collapse of the old East Anglian autumn drift net fishery, which was based entirely on the Downs stock moving south to the Southern Bight and eastern English Channel to spawn.

The reasons for that failure have been attributed both to high mortality of the juveniles in the North Sea industrial fisheries, and to heavy fishing by bottom trawlers on the spawning concentrations in the English Channel during the 1950s. Bottom trawling on the spawning grounds not only disturbs spawning fish but also destroys the spawn and damages the substrate on which successful spawning depends.

Fishing mortality on the herring in the central and northern North Sea began to increase rapidly in the late 1960s. Landings peaked at over one million tonnes in 1965, around 80% of which were juvenile fish. This was followed by a very rapid decline in the SSB and the total landings.

By 1975 the SSB had fallen to 83,500 tonnes, although landings were still over 300,000 tonnes.

At the same time, spawning in the central North Sea contracted to the east coast of England, while spawning grounds around the edge of the Dogger Bank were no longer used. This serious collapse of the North Sea autumn spawning herring stock led to a moratorium on directed herring fishing in the North Sea from 1977 to 1980. Until that time there had been no control, other than market forces, on the catches of North Sea herring.

Sources – CEFAS 2008 and an article first published in ‘Fishing News’, 12 February 1999

Hope that helps!

<_<

and yet we still have huge amounts of herring and the stocks are healthy. How can this be?

It still amazes me that not one sea species is extinct, but it still attracts all the interest of the media and chattering idiots yet species after species goes extinct everyday, out of sight, out of mind, in freshwater habitats. Its a funny old world.

What was happening with the herrings food during this period of evil human interference HA?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net