fishing in the dark

Andykelly

hi looking to do a eve session say 6pm till midnight 1 night over the weekend never really fished in the dark but gonna give it a go .gonna be carp fishing we no the pond quite well but was wondering what we needed to take for fishing in dark and if anyone has any tips on lights we can use and things .cheers

Warm clothing and hot drinks are the most important thing, it's amazing how cold it gets!

Lighting you use depends on the venue, if there will be other people there you should keep lighting to an absolute minimum. Turn a light on for a minute and it will take an hour for your night vision to come back. An LED headlamp on minimum setting is all you need, just turn it on when you want to do something fiddly. Be very careful not to shine headlamps in each others eyes! Get yourself organised before it goes dark, so you know exactly where everything is, anything lying in the grass will just disappear. Buy a roll of white insulating tape and use it to make things like black tackle and bait boxes easier to find.

make sure any bait is in air tight containers, don't leave ground bait, boiles etc.. open as you will have a visit from the night time Rats and other wildlife.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Get yourself a reliable headlamp you can pick them up fairly cheaply, handy to carry a spare or at least a spare set of batteries.

Have a look at Anderoos thread about clipping or marking you line, all good info. You really need to use line marker of some sort to give you and idea about distance. Mind you if you're fishing this weekend and IF the weathers clear, with that full moon you should be able to make out quite a bit.

A fishing friend has got a red LED headtorch (cheap from Argos, as it happens - I think Steve Burke did a review on it?) which is brilliant - it gives you plenty of light to rebait and find bit and pieces but doesn't ruin your night vision. With a normal torch/headtorch, only use it if you absolutely have to, and don't shine it at or on the water.

Keep everything to hand and take plenty of warm clothes. Assuming you're legering, starlights or isotopes are pretty much essential for attaching to your bobbins/quivertip/etc. so you can see bites.

There's nothing to it really, definitely the right time to be fishing! Keep nice and quiet and do everything softly - the fish will come very close in after dark... as you're not staying all night and won't be sleeping, try float fishing in the margins with a starlight on your float B)

Oh yes (thanks Dant!) if you're casting to a baited spot, clip up and make sure you have something on the horizon to aim for (sillouette of a tree, etc.) so you hit the same spot each time.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Warm clothing and hot drinks are the most important thing, it's amazing how cold it gets!

Lighting you use depends on the venue, if there will be other people there you should keep lighting to an absolute minimum. Turn a light on for a minute and it will take an hour for your night vision to come back. An LED headlamp on minimum setting is all you need, just turn it on when you want to do something fiddly. Be very careful not to shine headlamps in each others eyes! Get yourself organised before it goes dark, so you know exactly where everything is, anything lying in the grass will just disappear. Buy a roll of white insulating tape and use it to make things like black tackle and bait boxes easier to find.

Sound advice - to which I'd add - get an LED headlight with a red light setting - doesn't disturb your night vision. Know your swim in daylight very important that you are familiar with your surroundings. Once it gets dark move at 75% pace - sounds a bit silly but I don't know how else to describe it - take care where you put your feet, where your standing escpecially if landing a fish. Finally I'd never be without good warm hat and neck muffler.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Take spare torches and batteries!

I've dropped stood on lost so many torches over the years, if you are clumsy like me or the batteries go in your torch you'll be in deep do do if you don't have spares!

Rich

The only time I really use a light at night when carp fishing is when I actually catch a fish.

I'm still on the original set of batteries :D

In all seriousness, organisation is probably more important than lighting.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE