Big bream

Anderoo

Fantastic fish, Andrew. Well done indeed!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Superb slab Andrew, well done mate and thoroughly deserved !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

:lol: Excellent!

There are exceptions, but often success cannot be measured in pounds and ounces. With these bream, for me at least, success is measured in consistency, I just want to be able to catch them 'regularly' on purpose, and what they weigh is definitely secondary to that. But as a few people have asked, it weighed 17lb 3oz. This is a lovely little cherry on an already superb cake :)

It's a great fish and thanks for sharing the pictures and story that go with it on the Anglers Net board.

Sorry to go on about weights but at 17lb 3oz it might well have broken the UK record 20 odd years ago methinks. Can anybody out there confirm that and post a few details of historic captures and weights among the bream fishing fraternity.

It must also be one of the biggest bream caught this season.

It is in fact quite newsworthy.

Will you be approaching the Angling Times or Angler's Mail with details of the capture?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

It's a great fish and thanks for sharing the pictures and story that go with it on the Anglers Net board.

Sorry to go about weights but at 17lb 3oz it might well have broken the UK record 20 odd years ago methinks. Can anybody out there confirm that and post a few details of historic captures and weights among the bream fishing fraternity.

Will you be approaching the Angling Times or Angler's Mail with details of the capture?

Of course many congratulations Andrew. I wasn't all that suprised though, it really was just a case of when it was going to happen. The amount of effort that he has put in cannot be overstated, absolute attention to every detail. Well done mate!

P.s. It would have been a record 10 years ago!

A little out of date but see here:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-...ish-record.html

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

Sorry to go about weights but at 17lb 3oz it might well have broken the UK record 20 odd years ago methinks. Can anybody out there confirm that and post a few details of historic captures and weights among the bream fishing fraternity.

Thanks TT. No need to apologise, I'd have been the same! I can't find a list of historic bream records but I think the record in the early-mid 90s was about 16lb, in the Queenford days? As far as I can tell, the biggest bream reported so far this season was 17lb exactly, but I'm sure there are a few bigger fish caught that don't get reported, although probably to carp anglers. I'm afraid I've got quite a low opinion of the weeklies (and most monthlies) now, so no, I'm not planning to contact any of them. Call it an AN exclusive :D

When Alex had his 18.6 from Wingham a few years ago, that was ounces away from being a British record. I reckon Wingham still has the potential to produce something really special...

As long as I am enjoying the challenge and learning from the (many!) mistakes, I am happy. Whether it's 12lb or 20lb, it's a Wingham bream - that's the only bit that matters to me. I reckon between us, we've pretty much cracked it now :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Of course many congratulations Andrew. I wasn't all that suprised though, it really was just a case of when it was going to happen. The amount of effort that he has put in cannot be overstated, absolute attention to every detail. Well done mate!

P.s. It would have been a record 10 years ago!

A little out of date but see here:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-...ish-record.html

Rich

Thanks Richard. Not been a bad year for either of us has it :) I honestly think we've got it now, after 3 years and 93 pages! PS send me an email/text if you get a chance, let me know if you're about this week/Sunday.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Early September, a new moon, warm, wet and a strong SW wind - couldn't ask for more really! As luck would have it, I finally got my break this season, and at 9.30pm on Friday evening, I landed this absolutely beautiful male bream:

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1747.jpg

The weight is immaterial, I'm just so pleased to have managed to catch one this year after some bad luck and bad angling in previous sessions. This session went like clockwork, and answered the last few little questions I had. I think I know what I'm doing now.

It could have been a brace too - I had a few small liners and then a funny bite on Thursday evening before it got dark, and had a heavy fish on for a few seconds before it fell off. Definitely a bream. When the fish came on Friday, I had 20 minutes of small liners as the shoal fed around the baited spot, and I knew I was going to get one. The bite, when it came, was a lovely slow, steady run.

I was hoping they'd come back again last night, but they'd melted away again.

Till next season then, chaps :)

Apologies for bumping this thread such that it comes back to the top.

But this is a seriously good fish.

You won't often see pictures of such a good fish - neither online or in the fishing mags.

But this might possibly be the best bream landed this season.

And exclusive to Anglers Net.

Tip top stuff. :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Apologies for bumping this thread such that it comes back to the top.

But this is a seriously good fish.

You won't often see pictures of such a good fish - neither online or in the fishing mags.

But this might possibly be the best bream landed this season.

And exclusive to Anglers Net.

Tip top stuff. :)

17lb 3oz is a cracking bream and well done again Anderoo.

Not trying to put it down any as i would love to catch one that big, but its not the biggest bream landed this season and wouldn't be for the last few seasons.

If there is one species that has shot up in size in the last few years, it's bream.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/19lb-Br...ml&hl=bream

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Lutra's right, it certainly won't be the biggest this season (or any other recent season). According to AT there was a 19lb 3oz caught in May from a 'southern stillwater', caught by design too! It says the biggest reported bream this season was 17lb exactly (presumably May is last season?), but there will be quite a few that don't get reported, like the ones in Lutra's link. I'm not sure if those were accidental or intentional.

The weight isn't the main thing for me, but of course I'm really pleased to have caught a PB by design :) And thank you TT for your kind words.

Given how much bigger bream are getting, I wonder what size they'll be in another 10 years? Anyone care to guess?