Crabfishing for Mackeral

me

Lately I went mackeral fishing. It was quite sunny. So I checked the tide times and went. I was using worm. I kept getting bites but they were crabs not mackeral. I caught about 20 crabs and 0 Mackeral in the end. :mad:

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Nathan, Nathan ......

mackerel don't eat worms unless they look like leetle fishees ......

suggest spinning a small lure 1oz/float fishing with a size 4 hook and lean strip of mackerel skin or fevers .....

oh dear!

Nathan:

I caught about 20 crabs and 0 Mackeral in the end. :mad:

The zero Mackeral is no surprise but just what sort of crabs did you catch :confused: If they were the sort that you can use for bait for Bass etc it could be worth freezing them or keeping them in a tank.

See if you can identify them or better still post a picture. Could be a little bait gold mine

I saw that you were :mad: , don't be, you could have hit on a supply of bait that will produce good fish, always look on the brighter side of life, bedump bedump (song :D )

Alan(nl

Alan(nl)

[ 13. January 2004, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Scapanapper. Get ready to be corrected. Mackeral never leave the S.coast! The shoals move offshore, but the odd individuals can always be caught. Not in sufficient numbers to warrant targeting them I`ll agree.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

HI

i'm on the lizard, cornwall.

yup were still catching mackerel and gar from the rocks down here, top sport on 2 lb b.s.

large mackerel shoals were seen recently being bait balled by porpoise in falmouth bay and a couple of commercial handliners are still working, so they are about. :)

There is some sort of ceremony around the first mackerel caught out of Lyme Regis each year. It is nearly always on January 1st, I believe.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

They don't arrive in The Solent area till around the beginning of May. Peak is probably August, but I have a record of a mild autumn when I caught one from the beach on Dec 6th.

Nathan, read up on them ..... they are mostly surface feeders on whitebait/small fry .... you occasionally catch them when bottom fishing on the retrieve, when they mistake a shiny hook or ragworm for a fish.

Hope that helps.