Do you take too much tackle to the bank?

Fishplate 42

I used to but not now. If I take much more than this it's because I can park the car right next to where I'm fishing...which isn't very often.

DSCN1410_zpsocnt4vyk.jpg

I'd get kicked out of my club if I went this minimal, "A large padded unhooking mat is required by all anglers" even if I'm trotting or whip fishing for silvers . . . . . My unhooking mat does more duty as a seat than it's intended job ;)

Mat

I have cut it down to a minimum, if I need a chair it a small fold up, tucked inside the mat, a quiver is handy to transport the rod(s) and banksticks, a rucksack takes all the other gear. Hate packing up loads of gear, let alone lumping it around everywhere.

All,

By the way - I am a carp fisherman and I'm sure that makes a difference. I think species often dictate the minimum amount of kit. I no longer even carry the "essentials" that are often mandatory in the UK.

Phone

I walked past a house the other day where the probable owner & his son had laid all their carp gear out on the front lawn prior to packing it all into and onto their small van, more gear than a Fox catalogue.

The other day we were at a car boot sale, a trader was selling 'must have carp gear; including camouflage nets to cover cars & vans, possibly even lorries, that had been used to lug all the 'necessary' gear to the waterside. Personally I saw it as both ludicrous and a tad amusing.

The carp industry is an incredible animal! Each to their own, just not for me.

• Like 1

All depends on time of year, species, length of session, method and venue.

TBH most of my sessions are short and I take as small amount of tackle as possible - the only exceptions being match fishing, beach fishing and all night sessions.

Wednesday evening I had a hour to spare and some old maggots in the fridge - took a small camping chair, 1/4 pint bait box, landing net, unhooking mat (rules are rules), a whip meter whip ready to go with rig on and a few sundries in my pocket.

Monday went floater fishing, Rod, reel, landing net, unhooking mat and a bait bucket with anything I needed (including sunglasses) in it.

When match fishing I have a ton of gear - reason - I don't know what lake / peg / method / species I will get / draw etc.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!