Lure fishing for Zander

The Flying Tench

In a recent thread on what to fish for on a bright day in October, someone suggested lure fishing for perch, pike, zander and chub. Interesting. I knew that, as it gets colder, cold high pressure days can be good for lure fishing for pike, and 2 of my best lure fishing sessions for perch were towards dusk on bright days towards the end of October.

But I have no experience with zander, and would like to catch one on lure. But I'm aware that, with dead fish baits, dusk or even night are the best times. So I'd be interested to hear how this works out with zander, particularly in canals. Can anyone advise

- how much do weather conditions matter?

- are some times of year better than others?

Thanks

john clarke

I've never caught a Zander either mate, but to give yourself the best chance, I'd research which canals actually contain a decent head of these!!

Having watched a lot of T.V. prog's on the subject - they are the proverbial vampires of the piscatorial world - but can be caught during daylight hours.

Soft rubber Lures - fished on a slow retrieve seems to be the way forward & very much a roving game rather than sticking to one peg.

I'm sure someone with much more expertise will come in on this.

Or - maybe they won't?? some venues/methods are jealously guarded - & why not!! It's difficult to give away a good spot, then find someone else fishing it.

Good Luck.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

My total zander experience is one fish but after many unsuccessful sessions fishing jigs and missing bumps/tail grabs, success came in the middle of the day fishing cheep Chinese deep diving plugs. I knew that the switch from jigs to plugs would result in lost gear but at 80p a go, I didn't mind - and I only ended up loosing one all day.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes a canal with a good stock is your best bet. Ultralight gear etc as per your setup. Concentrate right next to the locks.

I always did best at dawn until the boats became an issue.

Im a complete novice at catching Zander as I have never caught one or even seen one caught on the bank.

I don't even know what tackle would I need to use (rod type & test curve, recommended methods, line, etc). and would I need to employ any trace wire? and what time of year is the best time to target them? and how do they usually take a deadbait (gently but firmly or savagly with a gusto)? or is it more productive to use a lure and if so what sort and size would be recommended?

Maybe I should get the wife to buy me a book on the subject for Xmas, but what title should I ask for?

There are only a couple of waters near to me which hold them but I would really like to catch one as it's about the only well established UK species that I haven't yet caught.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Neither Keith have I (there's nowhere close to me as far as I'm aware that holds any??) However a lowish double is something of a Monster so I reckon something like a Barbel / Pellet waggler / light carp rod would very easily serve ok for most.

Anything more than 1 & 1/2 lb TC would surely reduce the sport.

Wire trace - around 12 lb Max' (can you get wire below 12 lb ??) would be advised IMO as Pike are more likely to be picked up as part & parcel.

According to the Telly - (Generally) Zander bites are much more delicate than Pike!! & are also caught on a slowly retrieved soft rubber Lure.

I'm sure you've half a dozen + rods already which would do the job.

Should you tell the wife you need another rod for Zander - I won't grass you up lol. :giveup:

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Hi Rich

What do you mean by 'Until the boats became an issue'? Surely they're more of an issue later in the day?

I'm afraid I'm not an early riser, specially as it would mean getting up well before dawn to travel up. I assume dusk is next best?

Finally, are some times of year better than others?

Thanks

Yes a canal with a good stock is your best bet. Ultralight gear etc as per your setup. Concentrate right next to the locks.
I always did best at dawn until the boats became an issue.

john clarke