Rising depths on rivers?

Dave H

All,

Hummmmm??

Everything everyone says is true of my river. The Missouri River. For the most part rising or falling waters are indicators of favorable and unfavorable conditions.

The Missouri River is:

2,341 mi

flow rate

86,340 cubic feet per second

roughly

5 - 6 mph (spring summer) or 3 - 4 (winter fall)

With a drainage basin spanning 529,350 square miles. (something (?) over a million sq/km)

Point is - my input probably isn't very helpful - is it?

Phone

All,

Hummmmm??

Everything everyone says is true of my river. The Missouri River. For the most part rising or falling waters are indicators of favorable and unfavorable conditions.

The Missouri River is:

2,341 mi

flow rate

86,340 cubic feet per second

roughly

5 - 6 mph (spring summer) or 3 - 4 (winter fall)

With a drainage basin spanning 529,350 square miles. (something (?) over a million sq/km)

Point is - my input probably isn't very helpful - is it?

Phone

Just as helpful to you as me telling you the river wey looks a bit wet today LOL

Got to point it out though a rising depth is a river silting up surely ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Got to point it out though a rising depth is a river silting up surely ?

. .

Not always chesters. When my smallish gravel bottomed rivers carry extra water it tends to push through with a lot more force and washes any silt and debris further downstream to the much wider slower and deeper stretches which are several miles downstream.

During low water when the flows are a lot less we tend to get the suspended silt settling on top of the gravel instead of it being washed through like normal, and if it's been really low for a while (like it has been this year) the silt and debris starts to build up on top of the gravel; and it takes a good wash through to bring it back to its cleaner gravel and stoney bottom.

So in the much wider, deeper and slower stretches much further downstream a rising depth could indicate extra silt arriving but not in the smaller stretches upstream (which is where I tend to fish these days) which normally have much cleaner and gravelly bottoms.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

For most species and conditions a falling river is better, but barbel will really go on the prod on a rising river - and they will readily take large chunks of luncheon meat where in usual circumstances they might be wary of it.

If your river usually runs clear, don't miss out on a warm flood, those are the conditions that a barbel angler longs for. The fish are not always in the slacks either, they are quite capable of dealing with any flow, I've seen them caught at King's Weir (before the crest weir was installed) with all the flood gates open on the weir and the bank vibrating from the force, the barbel were out there in the middle.

For most species and conditions a falling river is better, but barbel will really go on the prod on a rising river - and they will readily take large chunks of luncheon meat where in usual circumstances they might be wary of it.

If your river usually runs clear, don't miss out on a warm flood, those are the conditions that a barbel angler longs for. The fish are not always in the slacks either, they are quite capable of dealing with any flow, I've seen them caught at King's Weir (before the crest weir was installed) with all the flood gates open on the weir and the bank vibrating from the force, the barbel were out there in the middle.

I really miss fishing the old kings weir, both fishing from one of the punts and fishing from the bank alongside the keepers back garden.

I've had some really good barbel fishing right under the sill of the weir and from the middle of the weir, and I caught my very first 5lb chub from there in 1977 on a peeled prawn (see pic below).

1st5lbChub850x600.jpg

I think they ruined it when they installed the new weir, and they turned it into a shallow ghost of what it was previously like, and I only fished it a couple of times after then.

Memories Lol.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)