Rising depths on rivers?

Dave H

Are rising water levels on rivers good for fishing?

My mates and I are split down the middle with this for various reasons and all seem valid in different ways

My local river really can't get much lower and so it will start to rise soon in fact after yesterday it probably will,

What experiences have others had and thoughts on the matter?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

As you might expect, it depends.

Super low and clear is great for summer lure/fly fishing but add more than a few inches of water and a tinge of colour and you can forget it. Conversely, those roach and barbell that were impossible to tempt on a low clear river, will feed like crazy with a little flush of fresh water.

Keep on increasing the levels and things get difficult but it can concentrate fish and a cutting or confluence where fish can get out of the main flow can give bumper catches. Predators spring to mind in these conditions but if you catch them right, these spots can produce good hauls of almost any species.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Dave,

Like Ken implies, the answer is species specific and method specific for the most part. As a "factor" rising water is good for carp fishing. In fact, carp love a good flood. You won't find many flyfishermen who don't grumble a bit at off color rising water.

Phone

I always prefer to fish a falling river level, when it's rising the chances are (especially at this time of year) it will be cooler water coming through and the fish may need a little time to aclimatise to it and also there will usually be debiries and sediment in the water until it has flushed through and has started to drop...jmo.

• Like 1

Tigger,

Something to be said for falling water. Water levels are so much a by-product of other more important factors. For example, if the water is falling because of an overextended high pressure system and excessive heat (you know what I mean).

Also, there is no question anglers in the US rely almost entirely on natural conditions to start a feeding frenzy. "Feeding a swim" is an art we neither need or practice. We are blessed with huge stocks and an even larger variety of venues. Probably more species too although I can't attest to that from memory.

To answer the question fairly you would have to assume lots of "conditions" were or were not in place. Overwhelming.

Phone

I always prefer to fish a falling river level, when it's rising the chances are (especially at this time of year) it will be cooler water coming through and the fish may need a little time to aclimatise to it and also there will usually be debiries and sediment in the water until it has flushed through and has started to drop...jmo.

As we get in to the colder months Ian and the low pressures bring the warmer temp's with the wet weather, rising water most often go's hand in hand with rising water temperatures. With very little if any lag between rising water and rising water temps. As much as a 10 degree rise in water temps in a couple of hours on a rising river is not that uncommon. I used to spend many an hour fishing with thermometer in the water next to me in winter and barbel especially can be very fast to respond.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been reading an article in one of the mags - Angling Times or the Anglers Mail that says that in winter the fish are often too busy keeping out of the flow when the river starts to rise, adn when it starts to 'fine down' (whatever that actually means) they will often start to feed again to replenish the energy expended fighting the flood current.

The notion makes sense but as I have almost no practical angling knowledge or experience I can't say either way. I will log it away for future reference though.

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

It seems to me that it depends on what sort of country the river drains.

I have fished a lot on small "spate" type rivers draining high ground for trout and salmon. and I would say a falling river (with clearing water) is best. As for a rising river - if the river has been low for many days, ,then your chances increase during the first hour of rising water. after which they diminish sharply.

As for large lowland rivers (eg Wye, Thames, Severn etc ), they are far enough away so as to involve pre-arranged trips - so I can't just pick up a rod when the river looks good. So I just have to make the best of whatever weather/water level coincides with my visit.

Looking back on a fishing life, the only trips I regret are those I didn't go on.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I realise that in the winter months a rising river usually goes hand in hand with rising temperatures and rising temperatures tend to get fish moving about a lot more and looking for food; however there are several things that can work against this in the smaller rivers that I fish; especially after a longish dry period; and its these things which usually make a falling river the best scenario for me; summer or winter.

For example; I live in an area that has a fair amount of road traffic, and surface water off the roads often finds its way into some stretches of my local rivers which after a longish dry period often contains a lot of pollutants; regardless of whether it is in the winter or summer.

Another thing that is sometimes a problem with rising river levels after a dry period is the amount of silt and debris that accumulates on the riverbed when the water level has been low and fairly sluggish for a while; which tends to get washed downstream in the flow and the amount of debris washing downstream often makes it very difficult for both fish and angler.

Another thing that can often be the kiss of death for fishing in a rising river is melting snow finding its way into the river.

So overall I much prefer a river that is falling in level or has been steady for a while; rather than a rising water level; both in summer and in winter

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)