One for the gardeners

S63

The bottom one is Lords and ladies AKA Cuckoo-pint - Arum maculatum.

A very toxic plant.

I'll have a look-see if I can find the other one.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The top one is a Rudbeckia.

There are several kinds, but if you're looking to look it up or propagate it, that should be enough.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Been bad in my garden this year,9 varieties of blight "resistant" toms all but one plant dead in 3 days and the one left is looking sick (obviously that one a little more resistant?)! too late to concoct bordeaux mixture  (its banned as is anything else that ever worked garden wise). That rain coming along with a breeze obviously blew it in from somewhere and it only needs a couple of days to infect plants around them and once they show signs thats it . If your lucky you can grab some toms then pray they are ok but that can change overnight from ok to brown in 24hrs !

Heres the recipe for those unaffected  but vunerable!

https://dig-for-victory.org.uk/growing-advice/dig-victory-leaflets-ww2/bordeaux-burgundy-mixture/

Careful of quicklime ?⛲ I bought some slaked lime to store until next year but whether that will work(perhaps slaking imparts magic?) i dont know its ending up with the same thing,Next year i will spray early ! Even crimson crush collapsed in 2 days! Dont compost the remains unless your compost gets real hot which most compost bins cannot do, burn them and steralise anything they were in or near i use bleach i suspect anything that was effective in jeyes fluid has been outlawed aswell!

They were doing so well ,all pinched out at 6ft and no blossom end rot on some this year as i had automated the watering ? Every day i go through the green toms we grabbed, every day the amount halves

Never mind i will use the ones i dried last year and vacuumed packed and chucked in the freezer for stews and soups ,bit crispy for cheese and tomato sarnies!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I use a winter wash on my fruit trees.

I struggled to find an oil that would emulsify easily until the penny dropped that I have one in my kitchen.

My winter wash now consists of copper sulphate and mayonnaise!

Top the strayer up with water, give it a good shake, and by bye-bye aphids and fungal diseases.

Yuk ,will salad cream do? Will Olive oil do or veg oil emulsified?

Not sure what the lime bit does in bordeaux mixture ,it stops blossom end rot but chemically does it change the copper sulphate or copper change the calcium into a more effective chemical ? I dont think its entering the plant itself just killing spores on the external plant

Hmmm https://www.freepatentsonline.com/2109683.html

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 8/16/2021 at 9:14 PM, chesters1 said:

,9 varieties of blight "resistant" toms all but one plant dead in 3 days and the one left is looking sick (obviously that one a little more resistant?)! too late to concoct bordeaux mixture  (its banned as is anything else that ever worked garden wise).

All through this wet summer Norma has been cursing the rain and expecting blight. We are at present harvesting a bumper crop of blight-free plump delicious toms.  What do we gardeners know ?  Mild detergent has been the only anti-blight agent used.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Lucky git ,prepared to 'sun' dry the bulk (the sun is a dehydrator?) and vacuum seal them into small bags and then freeze them ,bought 50 more bags ! By the time they are ripe we may get just enough for a stew lol

Even picked green and unblemished they go off overnight even washing them in milton straight off the bush

One mistake is using 'named' as in the variety and company and but them arriving in plain plastic enve!opes they could be anything ,next year all will bought in pictorial envelopes! You buy in good faith online but take that risk trouble is the local "garden centres" are more like Woolworths today seeds are at the bottom of the list you can probably buy more types of coffee in the cafe than tomato seeds

Edited by chesters1

21 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

Lucky git ,prepared to 'sun' dry the bulk (the sun is a dehydrator?) and vacuum seal them into small bags and then freeze them ,bought 50 more bags ! By the time they are ripe we may get just enough for a stew lol

Even picked green and unblemished they go off overnight even washing them in milton straight off the bush

One mistake is using 'named' as in the variety and company and but them arriving in plain plastic enve!opes they could be anything ,next year all will bought in pictorial envelopes! You buy in good faith online but take that risk trouble is the local "garden centres" are more like Woolworths today seeds are at the bottom of the list you can probably buy more types of coffee in the cafe than tomato seeds

My folks grow those classic varieties: Sainsbury, Aldi and Tesco.

Basically, they just take seeds from commercial tomatoes in the spring and away they go. They might grow a couple of "Moneymaker" or some other named variety as well, but they generally do okay.