3 years in, still learning the ropes

HookedOnFishing

Hi All,

Been fishing now for around 3 years but my eyes recently have been opened about how many different methods/tackle can affect your angling.

I typically use a quiver tip with various feeders and experimenting with Groundbait and Hemp at the moment. Hoping to try an open end feeder on a fishing trip this week to see what happens.

Largest catch was a 12'' common, that took me about 20 minutes to safely bring in!

Does anybody have any tips how to improve my feeder fishing experience?

Thanks all.

You will still be learning the day you die ,old folks show young folks old methods ,young folks show old folks how its changed since the old folks changed it for their old folks .

When i started 'boilies' were called par boiled potatoes lol both work but i prefer the modern version !you wasted more potatoes just casting them but strangely nowadays you throw more modern boilies away deliberately šŸ˜‚

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

Ā 

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Ā 

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Ā 

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say willĀ  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 9/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, chesters1 said:

You will still be learning the day you die ,old folks show young folks old methods ,young folks show old folks how its changed since the old folks changed it for their old folks .

When i started 'boilies' were called par boiled potatoes lol both work but i prefer the modern version !you wasted more potatoes just casting them but strangely nowadays you throw more modern boilies away deliberately šŸ˜‚

ahaha I like the potato part!!!

I have realised that fishing is an endless money pit and I am all for it!

Ā 

Tight lines

It doesnt have to be a money pit ,fishing tackle doesnt come with a max catch number ,a rod bought in the 1970's is still a rod with the ability to still catch fish today ,all that changed over the years is the material its made from .

Old reels still work but with more effort to useĀ  i last bought new tackle in the 90's but use tackle i am comfortable with from the 70's if your spending lots of money is it for your benefit or the attention of others to compliment you on the latest stuff ?

Personally i like fiberglass rods i have seen many carbon rods in bits chucked behind the swim and they are damn noisy when anglers try to hard to cast to a spot just out of range they are a tad over rated in my opinion thin yes ,better ......?Ā 

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

Ā 

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Ā 

Ā 

Grangers law : anything i say willĀ  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with fibreglass rods, they still enable you to catch and play decent sized fish and still cast very well.

The early Carbon fibre rods were not always as good as they could have been however theyā€™ve come on a lot since they were first developed; andĀ they soon improvedĀ and today even a relatively cheap carbon fibre rod can beĀ is as good if not better than most fibreglass rods of old used to be.

Of course there isĀ still the very occasional fibreglass rod that is still going to be hard to improve on like a light fibreglass Canal Wand for example.

I eventually replaced all of my fibreglass rods (except for my canal wand) over time with Carbon Fibre rods and havenā€™t regretted it at all;Ā as I can now hold them all day long because of their lightness, plus I can cast a lot further wheneverĀ I need to, plus I canĀ handle extra long rods of 15ft and 20ft rods all day long with a lot more ease when I use them without having to put them down intoĀ rod rests.

Itā€™s not that fibreglass rods are not very good to use, becauseĀ a good fibreglass rod is always going to be a good rod, but carbon fibre has just made it a little easier to use in a lot ofĀ situations because of what I mentioned in my previous paragraph.

But as I said a good rod is always going to be a good rod regardless of what itā€™s made of; in my view.

As far as feeder fishing is concerned; it depends on several things like: the type of venues you are fishingĀ ie.Ā rivers orĀ StillwatersĀ and in the case of rivers theĀ current speeds etc, plusĀ the size and types of the species your likely to be catching, plus the type of lake or river bedsĀ you are going to beĀ presenting your baits over; etc.

I suggest you invest in a good fishing book which deals with feeder fishing in all of the different types of venues that you are likely toĀ fish and the types of fish in them. As it can be a lotĀ larger a subject than you think, with lotsĀ of different types of feeder and feeder setups and feeder rodsĀ depending on the above.

Anyway tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I only have 3 carbon rods ,one is a dreadful silstar 'traditional' 17 footer ,vastly over ringed with lots of line resistance and 2 north western carbon kevlar carp rods that replaced my tag barns pike rods .

I maybe biased but a good fiberglass rod will be far better than a cheap chinese carbon rod (why are they so short today?) ,weight is secondary (if you think 1970's glass rods are heavy try a 1960's one lol) (i have a 50's? Sowerbutts RU-Light rod thats 4" across lol) my abu ferrulite or even my trusty PDQ match rod can be held all day, are we weaklings lol i have tried decent carbon rods but they just cannot cast correctly i can underarm a tiny float further than the guy next swim making a hell of a noise getting half as far theres no weight in the blank to flick the tip šŸ˜„ I cast by holding the hook putting a slight bend in the tip then flicking the tackle upwards with the rod the actual rod hardly moves if you get the motion and timing just right ,i have never float fished at distance ,always use float rubbers at the top of the float all that waggler / zoomer šŸ˜‰ mallarky i leave to others ,if you cant cast 30 ft with a 4" float give up!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I still use a fibreglass rod in summertime when floater fishing the margins for carp, it's an old Fibatube (Hardy) blank 1lb 6oz TC (based on a Dick Walker Stepped up Avon) it bends right down to the butt and is a perfect match with 8lb line, but best of all, I can carry on fishing with it in a thunderstorm which I won't do with a carbon rod.šŸ™‚

IMG_7064-c-r-f-m.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 7:17 AM, chesters1 said:

I only have 3 carbon rods ,one is a dreadful silstar 'traditional' 17 footer ,vastly over ringed with lots of line resistance and 2 north western carbon kevlar carp rods that replaced my tag barns pike rods .

I maybe biased but a good fiberglass rod will be far better than a cheap chinese carbon rod (why are they so short today?) ,weight is secondary (if you think 1970's glass rods are heavy try a 1960's one lol) (i have a 50's? Sowerbutts RU-Light rod thats 4" across lol) my abu ferrulite or even my trusty PDQ match rod can be held all day, are we weaklings lol i have tried decent carbon rods but they just cannot cast correctly i can underarm a tiny float further than the guy next swim making a hell of a noise getting half as far theres no weight in the blank to flick the tip šŸ˜„ I cast by holding the hook putting a slight bend in the tip then flicking the tackle upwards with the rod the actual rod hardly moves if you get the motion and timing just right ,i have never float fished at distance ,always use float rubbers at the top of the float all that waggler / zoomer šŸ˜‰ mallarky i leave to others ,if you cant cast 30 ft with a 4" float give up!

At age 14, er, some years ago, I bought an ex army tank aerial for a rod...You could say that was a tad heavy...Now, I have a couple of ugly sticks for mackerel and trevally and a couple of Daiwa Heartland rods for barramundi fishing.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers, Bobj.

Theg weren't heavy compared to solid glass ,they just never stopped bouncing if you put them in a rod rest lol

I once bought an 8ft 2 section pike rod (or pier rod theres no difference back then) ,moby dick couldnt have bent it ,you could dislocate your arm trying to cast more than 20 feet with it

Tank aerials were the in thing in the mid 60's in my case ,two versions push in joints or screw in joints ,i walked 10 miles (or more) with 3 sections joined together i had bought the screw version (for safety thinking the push in ones could fly apart) the frickin things couldnt be undone with bare hands ,from then on i took two bits of inner tube to get grip then decided tanks could keep them.I bought an apollo taperflash (still got it) very nice rod if you kept the rust out surprisingly light ,nice rods

Just popped in my head i was pike fishing one winter i had a pike rod out and was trying to catch some live bait on the apollo ,i never had any luck so was just starting to pull it apart and noticed a float in a tree i tried to pull it down with the rod but the frickin tip section came apart and dropped in the water sinking like a stone .i spent 20 minutes ball deep trying to find it in freezing water i couldnt find my dick for 2 days! Got it back but learnt a lesson that day! Metal is heavy it sinks especially when the bung designed to keep water out is missing !

Edited by chesters1
  • Haha 1

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My last English rod was a two piece Millbro Caledonian thatĀ I bought when I went back to Bradford to see the oldies. I brought it back to Western AustraliaĀ and tried it out on a barramundi in the Ord River. It survived against a 7 lb er, but got smashed by a 19 lb barra, It was not the fish, so much as the harsh sun, as it resided leaning against the garage wall, north facingā€¦

• Sad 1

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Ā 

Ā 

Cheers, Bobj.