Replacement reel for Shimano Exage 2500

The Flying Tench

After 25 years my trusty Shimano Exage 2500 RA reel has packed up. Or more strictly I bust it up when taking it apart for cleaning, and couldn't put it together again!

It's been a good reel, so I'd like to replace it with something similar, but the range seems to be discontinued and I can't work out which of the current Shimano reels is the equivalent. Can anyone advise? I think you'd call it a match reel, but I'm not sure. I use it for general ledgering and float fishing for roach, perch chub etc

John

• Haha 1

john clarke

8 hours ago, The Flying Tench said:

After 25 years my trusty Shimano Exage 2500 RA reel has packed up. Or more strictly I bust it up when taking it apart for cleaning, and couldn't put it together again!

It's been a good reel, so I'd like to replace it with something similar, but the range seems to be discontinued and I can't work out which of the current Shimano reels is the equivalent. Can anyone advise? I think you'd call it a match reel, but I'm not sure. I use it for general ledgering and float fishing for roach, perch chub etc

John

You could sent it to fieldrine and have it put together.

Failing that, there are a number of nice reels to replace it with.  You could look on ebay for another like your old one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Exage-4000-RA-Spinning-Reel-/313749254486?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Ok, thats a 4000 size, but would still be geeod to use, prolly better than you 2500 for legering.

There are some others on ebay, 2500 which looms a bit naff to me, and a 1000 size which is proly to small.

What to suggest to you depends on how much coin your prepared to spend John?

I use a Stradic with a fighting drag but mine is a 4000 series which might be a bit too large for using with a normal sized waggler; however the smaller sizes of Stradic are fine for light float work. 

Mark Wintle very occasionally uses a Stradic 2500 when he’s trotting a float as you can see in this video. 

However; as Tigger suggested I would probably just send it to Felindre for a service and get them to get it running again for you.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

21 hours ago, BoldBear said:

Mark Wintle very occasionally uses a Stradic 2500 when he’s trotting a float as you can see in this video.

I like the piece of forearm, support padding taped to the handle, looks like a strip of polystyrene to me??

I might try it myself.

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I like this Idea from Mark Wintle - Stick floats from kids paint brushes, get a dozen pack from the Pound shop ....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Martin56 said:

I like the piece of forearm, support padding taped to the handle, looks like a strip of polystyrene to me??

I might try it myself.

Here's Marks Reply about it ..........

It's a short length of UPVC cable duct that is flat with rounded ends, od 28mm x 12mm. I cut a length then cut a slot in one of the flat sides with a hacksaw so it's a tight fit - bend it to open up then it grips the handle then it's held in place with some inner tube. It emulates the Daiwa Armlock.

• Like 1